What P90s are in your SG Classic or similar SG???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dewman, Jan 7, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

My stock Gibsons have great low end but are real muddy and adjusting heigth only helps a little. I play blues and blues rock, so a thick yet articulate and expressive sound is what I am going after. The low end would be nice since the SG has less mahogany than a LP Special and having low end for a warm tone is a good thing. I was thinking of Lollars, I know they are not as aggresive, but generally great P90s. Are there any other Lollar winds I could get? Are there any other brands of P90s that work particularly well in SGs?

2. SG John

SG John Member

I have a '62 SG Special that did not have the original pickups in it, and were fried. I replaced them with a set of "Goat's Growl" P-90's made by Mick McGuinness at Manlius Guitar in Syracuse, NY. He does great work, and is excellent to deal with. I have several of his pickups in various guitars. The "Goat's Growl" pickups are very clear, load, and ballsy. I'm really happy with them They sound killer with my JTM45, Deluxe Reverb, and AC30. They are a very well rounded pickup.

http://www.manliusguitar.com/

3. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I put the Fralin underwound neck and standard bridge pickups that Lindy recomends in my SG Classic. Got rid of the mud and there is more note separation and deffinition. I think after messing with the SG that P-90's just might not be for me.

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

Jason Lollar does several winds for his P-90's. You should give him a call. Lindy Fralin too.

5. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

I have a SG Supreme with p90's - standard Gibson issue with the addition of a dummy coil that cancels hum in two of the three switch positions. I love the guitar, but have had difficulty in finding a good amp match (without pedals). It sounds kind of hollow and muddy with some amps (like HRDs) - difficult to eq out. I have a Pro Reverb and a Princeton that sound pretty good. After an extensive search I found a Budda (SD18 II) that does the guitar justice, and have been gigging with that for over a year.

But, the fact that it doesn't have the slinky, articulate, slightly hairy tone of a good LPjr bothers me. Any recommendations?

6. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

i'm finding myself in the same situation. I actually really like the sound of my sg classic, but it squeals like a mother with overdrive. and it gets lost in the mix with the other guitar player in my band. i will keep the guitar, but am thinking of putting a tv-jones in a p-90 mount in there.

7. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

I have some stock no-name ceramic P-90's in my Agile Valkyrie II.

I know it's heresy, but I think they sound great. Definitely not muddy.

[​IMG]