What PAFs for this tone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by csacwp, May 22, 2015.

1. csacwp

csacwp Member

I'm looking for a set of PAFs for a guitar with a korina body, maple cap, maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard. It will have a 2 point Gotoh vintage style trem. I play everything from jazz to fusion and rock to 80s metal. So far I've been considering Bare Knuckle Mules and Lollar Imperial Highwinds (the highwinds would be a little less bright sounding). Here are a couple of clips of some of the cleaner tones I'm after:

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I wouldn't rule out Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs for this application. They are really sweet and vintage sounding, yet can handle higher gain.

3. Promit

Promit Member

When in doubt, a slightly hot wound PAF style pickup does it all :dude Maybe Suhr?

4. csacwp

csacwp Member

The guitar used in the recordings is a Yamaha SG-200 with the stock pickups, where were hotter PAF style.

I should add that I use a high gain rig, usually a Rocktron Prophesy preamp running through the power section of my Mesa Electra Dyne, although sometimes I run straight into the high gain channel on the Electra Dyne or into a Marshall JCM 2000.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  5. csacwp

csacwp Member

• So here's a crazy idea... what about Super Distortion? I remember those cleaning up really well.