What path have you taken?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by XKnight, Aug 21, 2008.

1. XKnight

XKnight Member

I started playing guitar as a preteen thanks to Jimmy Page. I played in a band throughout high school and it was my life back then. By College, I had pretty much stopped playing. I didn’t take up playing again until over 20 years later. Soon after picking up the guitar again I joined TGP and went on a major shopping spree over the last year and a half. Obviously, I had a lot of catching up to do. Thanks to TGP I found out what GAS really was and luckily I was able to afford it.

So, after searching far and wide for my tone and trying various boutique guitars I recently realized that I’ve simply been chasing the tones in my head from when I was a teenager in the 70’s and early 80’s. This realization has resulted in two guitars that I’ve acquired and could not be happier with. My Gibson R8 and my Fender NOS No Caster. I finally feel satisfied with my tone and the feel of these guitars. I’m actually starting to feel like my GAS has subsided. Perhaps I’ve just reached a juncture in my journey and will stay at this crossroads for awhile until it’s time to move further on down the road. I guess only time will tell. In the meantime, I’m now on a quest for the perfect amps.;)

2. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

I can totally relate to your story. I'm 46 and still chasing guitars and tones. I'm almost settled in... I have two guitars arriving next week! I keep saying, "That's it! No more trading, buying, building, etc." Then I log on to TGP or HCF and I'm gassing again. At 46 I guess I've earned the right to feed my little addiction. There are much worse addictions out there. I need to stop logging in here!

3. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Started in 1979.

I quit gigging and stopped recording in 2004; I've just noodled around at home. Last month I got my home studio running again and added some high-end studio gear and have been recording and writing feverishly.

Of all my electrics ( about 12 ?), three have been used for 95% of the electric guitar work for my new compositions and recordings:

• Sadowsky HSH superstrat
    • Gibson Les Paul Standard with Bareknuckle Rebel Yell pups
    • Fender Strat relic with Duncan Antiquity pups

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Started playing in bands in high school and have never stopped. I'm 47 next month. I could not quit playing. Music probably saved my life. It ceretainly gave me peace, happiness and purpose.

I have GAS for the occasional guitar, but really at 12 electrics, have more than I need to do whatever I want. My amp GAS has long been over.

5. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

Started playing as a teen in 1987 and kept at it until I took a break from 2001 to 2005. I had begun divorce proceedings (read: no money, some depression) and I was experiencing some stiffness in joints, so it wasn't so enjoyable to play. I started back up around 3 years ago and I think I'm a better guitarist now. I have bought a sold a few guitars until I found what I wanted with a G&L Legacy and a Hamer Sunburst. I have the desire for either a Tele or a P90 equipped guitar, but I guess my search is really for something different/unique at this point.

6. bynt

bynt Member

I started playing around 14 or 15 and have played ever since. I always had terrible gear though until I was thirty. I did take a bit of a learning break for close to ten years because of an excess in other addictions but I never quit playing. I just sounded like **** when I did. Anyway, I put down the bottle and chemicals and then realized that me gear sounded like arse so I started getting into tube amps and guitar snobbery only to find that I really like player guitars that speak to me. My thing is amps. Effects as well (to a small degree), but mainly amps. I had a good tele and a great strat but my amps were always crappy solid state jobbies. I think because I had such awful tone for so long I've been trying to make up for lost time or something. I'm looking for a P-90 guitar (I think that'll actually be happening this week) and I wish I had my Tele back but I'm mostly good with the guitars that I have (Strat and a Les Paul).

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

started at 9 on acoustic and quickly graduated to a Sears amp and JC Penny strat style guitar...my first album was by the Monkeys (Daydream Believer) and my second album was Fathers and Sons by Muddy Waters which would shape my basic musical direction for the next 42 years...

I dabbled in the British prog. and blues rock thing and fusion for awhile and chased Jazz studies for a number of years...I even took a 10 year break from playing from 21-31 years old...

it was during the latter part of my Jazz studies that I realized that Blues was at the bottom of everything I like...

my second guitar was a 335 and my second amp was a SF Twin purchased new for $600 in total...

I went through the exclusivity years playing only strats and then only teles until I bought 1987 Gibson 335 and a few months later my first LesPaul...my amp is a clone of a BF and Tweed Fender so I would say that I have come full circle to what I knew at 13....

I tried to make a full-time living at music but in 2005 retired from active gigging to work a job with a steady income...if an offer came in I would be very tempted to go back out on the road as I miss it terribly...

Chow,
    Seegs

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  8. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I'm 42, been playing for (only) 10 years. Along the way I've learned not only what works for me, & what I like, but what DOESN'T work for me, which has shaped not only my purchases, but the kinds of music/songs I endeavor to learn.

Most important thing is to enjoy the experience !!

9. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

I'm 32 and started playing guitar in a metal band in high school. Eventually I branched out musically and my taste in gear improved. I collected quite a few nice guitars and amps and played in some great bands, all original rock. Sometime ago I fancied that I'd become a drummer and sold off most of my guitar stuff, keeping only my #1 strat and a handful of vintage effects, to fund all sorts percussion instruments. Last year the band I was playing drums in broke up, so I decided to give guitar a go again. I've been building my collection back up again and have scored some great pieces. I hooked up with some old friends who were starting up an indie rock band and needed a guitarist. I've never been a great player by any means, but I've been at it long enough that I've developed my own style and niche. I know I always have more to learn and I'll always be looking for new tools to get the sounds I hear in my head.

10. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I started at age 11 or 12 after seeing a kid play Iron Man on guitar. It wasn't Iron Man that interested me, but the guitar, so I eventually got a Squier Starter Pack. I started playing any classic rock I could (Eagles, Doors, AC/DC), but then discovered Hendrix and then SRV. After learning all these guitarists' songs, I got bored and wanted to play more difficult stuff because I thought that was cool. So I got into Funtwo, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, and Eric Johnson. At this point, I wanted a new guitar and amp and at the time I wanted a Hughes and Kettner Triamp and some shred guitar like Mr.FastFinger that I begged my parents for. Luckily, they put off getting me the guitar and amp for so long that I realized that shred wasn't the music I liked or was even capable of playing. I realized that I always loved the blues and that the blues didn't take hours of repeating one lick to play it fast enough like shred did. Now, I have a 62 american vintage strat that I love and a Deluxe Reverb Reissue that I love and I just play SRV, Hendrix, and Mayer all day. The only gear I can thinking of getting now is an overdrive pedal, like a TS, and if I really get GAS, a Univibe or Fuzz. That's all.

11. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

I started at 4 after being forced by my Mom to take Flamenco lessons. I quit at 13. Since then it's been all my way. I've never been one to succumb to doing the things everyone else is doing. In fact, I'll do the exact opposite. My choices in gear reflect that to a degree. Won't catch me with a Strat, LP, or "10 top". I have fallen victim to the Tele bug.....but who can resist a Tele? Even so, It's not a '52 RI, blackguard or Nocaster, or whatever else is "de riguer" this month.

12. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

48 here. For most of the 36 years I've been playing I had pretty decent equipment but it just wasn't that important to me. I didn't even really know or care that much about gear. Plug it in, turn it up, and play. Then about ten years ago I got more knowledgeable and serious about things, and went on the tone quest. I probably went through seven or eight guitars and a half-dozen amps before getting where I am now: a Gibson ES-339 and a variety of low-watt tube amps. Funny thing is, back when I was 15 my first "real" rig was an ES-330 and a low-watt tube amp.

I came full circle just like you, and couldn't be happier. And GAS is pretty much a thing of the past.

13. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Man you had a good start with that 2nd album and 2nd guitar!

I too have come back to where I started, good guitar, good amp, and good Blues.

14. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I started playing when I was 14 in 1985. I wanted to play like Warren DeMartini or EVH but my folks put me in classical lessons. I eventually took lessons from a few rock guys. I got into my first band when I was 21 and in the military. I got out of the military at 25 and went to Music Tech in Minneapolis. Good times and I learned a lot! Then I went on the road for a while to play Minneapolis-style funk before I finally came back to Albuquerque when I was 28 in 1999. I've been gigging locally since (rock, acoustic, originals, etc.) and currently have a cool band called the Daddy Os that plays '50s and '60s rock n' roll. We work a lot and have a great time. I also have an original project starting up playing the style of music I love the most...blues rock in the Cry of Love, Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies vein. Life is good!