What pedal am I describing?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nemo_sim, Dec 9, 2005.

1. nemo_sim

nemo_sim Member

I'm in need of some new floor candy. I know what sound I want but aren't sure where to find it.
    So tell me what i'm describing.

1. Even sounding - no low/mid/hi boost
    2. Clarity - notes ringing through no matter the chord/inversion
    3. Gain - Should sound like an older Marshall when on, even through cleanish Vox/Fenders

In short, i'm looking for The Bends Radiohead tone. I've had a Turbo Rat and played a Shredmaster and don't like 'em.

Any suggestions?
    Fire away!

2. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Might want to give the Xotic BB preamp a try. It can make a 2x12 sound similar to a stack. It mixes some clean in with the distortion signal. The result is excellent articulation even when maxed out.

John

3. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Maybe a Love Pedal COT 50.

4. Devi Ever

Devi Ever Guest

+1 one a Lovepedal something-or-other.

devi-

5. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

You are describing either a Barber Direct Drive or Burn unit. I have both and I use them into the front end of a 1966 Fender Bassman head (brite switch on, normal channel). I actually A/B'd this with my JCM800 2204 head using a stereo cabinet (one half of the cab coming out of the Marshall, the other half coming out of the Bassman). It's very similar. I too was searching for such a tone for quite some time before I found it. The reason was so I could leave my Fender head at the practice spot and keep my Marshall at home.

6. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

This sounds like a good call.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

To my ears, the tones on "The Bends" don't match up very well with your list of goals. Additionally, #1 and #3 seem somewhat contradictory, as I don't think of older Marshalls as sounding tonally even. There are lots of "Marshall in a box" pedals, but I've never been impressed enough to buy one. The Tonebone versions have lots of EQ options, so you might want to audition one with your guitar/amp setup.

Good luck,
    Bryan

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

older marshall as in......

if you want late 70's and 80's rock tonebone hot british all the way.

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I can't even comment since I have no clue what you got for a guitar, pups, amp, speakers, existing pedals....

goodluck mang

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hey man,

You might want to check out the Menatone King of the Britains. I have the 6-knob version and I think I can nail the my iron lung sound. Lots of eq and a great gain shaping options. Check it out!

I like it!

B.T.W. I've also been digging the Catalinabread Super Charged Overdrive lately. A bit different but definately worth a peek.