1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

What pedal am I looking for? (AC30/OD/Boost content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by james..., May 18, 2011.

1. james...

james... Member

So I'm running a top boost style amp at near full volume. Basically jacked at 8 or 9. It's on the verge of some real breakup.

Let's say I want to push it into that Marshall/hiwatt on the verge of meltdown territory, while still kind of keeping some of that Vox character.

Basically Pete Townsend tone with a little more gain and a little more marshall?

Let's use this as a reference point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GMmNaVbZLA

What am I looking for here?

2. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Klon
    Rat
    Hotcake

3. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

4. deluxe83

deluxe83 Member

without a question rockett animal. my fav with topboosts...

5. james...

james... Member

Hmmm...not at all what I was expecting. Most people seem to suggest clean boosts and transparent OD's.

Then again, I'm trying to almost CHANGE the tone of the ac30 in a way.

6. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Even though you just compared the Killers to Pete Townshend I'll do you a solid an tell you that a Blackout Effectors Mantra will get you there. :) I have a BFDR-like amp, but I just laid down a track that sounded just like mid-'70s Pete (live) with a little more Marshall-y compression. The Mantra's eq is so effective (it never gets shrill!) that I think it'll work just fine with your amp. The pedal itself is inherently Marshall-y, but the tops sounds slightly Vox-y to me. -E

PS I did check the clip and, yeah, Mantra.