What pedal board cabling are you satisfied with?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Les Paul Lover, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Les Paul Lover

Les Paul Lover Member

I've lost tone. :(

I have a Lava cable Ultramafic patch kit.

Solderless. Sounds great...... Not as reliable as I'd wish. If you don't touch it, it's fine. If you do...... it's hit and miss and prone to cutting out in my experience.

If it works for you great, as far as I'm concerned it's bye bye.

I ordered some Van Danme cable and switchcraft pancake plugs, and assembled them (soldered comnections) yesterday. Tugged hard on them. Tested fine, all assembled and working 1st time.

Patched my pedal board, played it tonight.... wow..... flat. Lost loads of high end, low end, just lost lots of tone.

My lava kit (when working) was transparent.

I'm only after soldered solution really. I'm hoping I can simply replace the cable as the switchcraft plugs I bought and used (or other plugs for that matter) quickly add up - and I've already spent that. :confused:

So what do you use?
    What would you recommend?

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Les Paul Lover likes this.
  3. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

Check out Bulk Cable Co on Reverb, I just found them today looking for patch cords myself. They have a lot of good products at pretty decent prices. I haven't decided what I want yet but I am liking these... (Not affiliated in any way, haven't bought from them yet)

https://reverb.com/shop/bulkcableco

[​IMG]

4. Les Paul Lover

Les Paul Lover Member

I love the solderless concept.... but in practice, it hasn't worked out.
    When I looked to replace my lava solderless cables, the choice isn t huge. I need a number of cables over 12", a few odd shorter sizes, and some where the plugs are facing opposite directions.

So I quickly decided to make my own.

I now see witchcraft make different levels/grade of pancake plugs..... and I certainly hope the Van Damne cable I bought is rubbish and can simply be replaced......

5. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I just switched to the silver Rockboard patch cables. They sound good and install easily at various angles. I opted for the silver because it looks like they can be repaired, unlike the black molded version.

6. underdog726

underdog726 Member

Those are ebs flat golds. Its what i use.

7. woof*

woof* Member

8. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I DONT recommend lava sodarless.

It’s all working and it sounds great, but what an incredible pain of trial and error frustration and blood. Never again.

9. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I found Drew @PianoMan on a thread and had him make me a whole mess of soldered goodness using square plug sp400 and sps4 for my new board. I did soldered for a while with pancakes, tried George Ls for awhile... didnt have bad luck but had 1-2 get loose and cause some issues. Soldered is for me.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    PianoMan and Les Paul Lover like this.
  10. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

I build what I need.

I have a very well stocked pedal supply parts bin.

11. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

I always go back to George L's because it's physically reliable and allows you to create exactly the length runs you need. Lava cable totally sucks, in my opinion, because the physical connections are unreliable and I have no use for that in a pedalboard! You just look at them and you lose continuity. I hate to be so critical, because I love Lava's curly cables and other products, but I finally threw away all my Lava pedalboard stuff because it just pissed me off all the time. Evidence Audio's pedalboard cabling is similarly crap. It might sound slightly better to my dog's ears (I doubt it) but when it doesn't deliver sound at all, well, how hifi is that? I do not use any premade cables since I need to be able to do exact lengths in order to route my signal chain ideally. If you like stripping cables and tracing down loss of signal, then the high-end stuff will be fun for you. Otherwise, I'd use George L's because, well, it works. It passes signal reliably!

12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Free The Tone.

13. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

On Amazon, I bought these three years ago, work perfectly.

Lava Mini ELC (Black) - 6 Inch

dbeeman and Les Paul Lover like this.
  14. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

Interesting. I’ve had lavacable tightrope and had no issues even when building and rebuilding pedalboards probably a dozen times I’ve even disassembled cables and then reused those cables later. The only thing I’d even say to be aware of is that after disassembling pedalboards over and over sometimes I need to tighten the screw-in connection about a turn. Follow the instructions and they are bulletproof in my experience.

Oh wait, another potential issue is that the included tool can be very sharp when new, so if you twist it too much you could cut off some of the copper strands. Again...follow the directions.

I have less success with their power connectors and just use the power cables that come with my power supplies (Strymons and MXR).

I also use Free The Tone angled adjustable MIDI cables and Rockboard flat TRS cables.

15. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

Rockboard Flat Patch (Warwick).

I've used these exclusively for the last couple of years now and they've been perfect. I've not had even one fail on me and they sound great with no noise, they're low profile and cheap too. I've got loads of them now at varying lengths and loads of spares just in case for building other boards.

16. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

I use the soldered Lava Ultramafic cables. My other guitar player uses the solderless ones like you have and he’s had a number of them fail. I have yet to see a failure on one of my soldered ones.

I had one solderless cable that he gave me and that cable failed as well. Soldered for me, thank you. The issue with the solderless version is that the end of the hot wire breaks where it slides down into the tip of the plug. The soldered ones don’t have this issue.

17. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

I make my own to whatever lengths I need. Hardwired, and usually at a cheaper cost than the kit systems.

CRBMoA and Les Paul Lover like this.
  18. Jelle

Jelle Member

Evidence SIS kit.

19. mikekim

mikekim Supporting Member

+1 for sis evidence audio and monorail cables.

Only issues ive had is the solid core occasionally braking off inside the plug when reusing a couple of times ( after unscrewing and screwing back up again)

hippieboy and Les Paul Lover like this.
  20. markmann

markmann Member

Test your cables with a meter and find out what the resistance is of each one. Could still be a bad solder joint.

I'm a total hack and I rarely have issues. I've got a jumble of pancake and barrel style jacks of different makes and I generally use cable from old guitar cords and no noticeable tone loss going through 8-10 pedals. I have good soldering skills and only use enough solder to get the job done.