What pedal do I need ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by troublehead, Jan 12, 2006.

1. troublehead

troublehead Member

I've spent years searching for a channel switching amp that will do both classic rock and metal (to my liking !). Since I mainly play metal, I've decided to get a pedal and run it over my clean channel for the middle ground stuff. It needs to be very convincing and go from AC/DC to early Van Halen if thats possible. The really heavy stuff will come from the high gain channel of my amp. Never really used many pedals so I'm curious as to what you guys think would get me there.

Thanks in advance

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

3. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Well matey.
    I would start with an overdrive pedal,
    There are currently thousands of different types flooding the market but I would suggest a Boss OD-3, It has a bit of compression and is real smooth, something more transparent and open would be a DOD-250 or 308 or something.
    AC/DC use early marshal,l same with eddie.
    overdrives are great for these type of tones but dont forget.......
    Your amplifier counts for around 80 percent of your tone so get a good one..
    You wont sound like AC/DC playing through a peavey bandit 112.
    forget about it, get a plexi and you cant go wrong.
    I hope this info has been of help to you
    now rock on!!

4. troublehead

troublehead Member

I understand your thinking and I agree. However, I need a stand alone pedal for those tones. My amp is clean and extremely high gain (ENGL Fireball). There is not a low/medium gain platform (Plexi-vibe) for overdrive pedals to get these sounds. I just need to run it in front of the clean channel.

5. dbx

dbx Member

You might find the EMMA Reezafratzitz an option. The bias control can help you dial in the flavor you need for those AC/DC tones...

[​IMG]

6. troublehead

troublehead Member

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

lovepedal Black Magic?
    the EMMA is a good choice
    BJF Dyna Red

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Fulldrive 2!! Has seperate drive/boost switches, AND 'comp cut' (clean), 'vintage' and 'modern' (higher gain) settings. VERY transparent, easily switchable on the fly, and built to last. Fulltone also just came out with a Mosfet version of the FD 2...could also be interesting. Still a benchmark drive/boost pedal, and one that was in the forefront of the boutique craze. Oh, and for around $175 new, it's a lot of pedal. AC