What pedal do you wish existed?

zul

Silver Supporting Member
Wish my Slow Engine had a slight boost above unity,
since swell effects almost always need a slight db bump.

Ripthorn

Listening to an old guitar solo by Eric Johnson, the less visited corners of his repertoire, the main title song of his 90s album "Venus Isle". I think in the outtro chorus flurry of notes, there's a line, that's very fast playing and drops, ends with a Wah note.

I've thought of this for years. That WAH note goes from HEEL to TOE without ever having to switch the wah on first with the extra pressure needed for switching it on, in TOE mode. He doesn't make ANY break or pause in his notes prior to switching the wah on. This one has ever eluded me. The tone of the solo prior is not with the wah active in any position. It is switched on in the HEEL mode. I would like a wah where I can with ONE pressure (not needed two feet to operate this) switch the wah on when it is in heel mode. Otherwise you must be musically silent while pressing the wah on, and bring it back up before you play that OOOAHHH note.

Listen to it at... 4:43...on for a few seconds descending typical EJ fast flurry line and it ends with...not a half cocked wah, but a single wah note from full heel to full toe, must be a splice:

More than likely its an optically bypassed wah. No mechanical switch, it turns on once the press is slightly started and is off when the heel goes all the way back. I think Morley used to make one. My MS-3 can do this, I believe.

Ripthorn

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a "deverber". I'm imagining a device that would allow me to play in a very live room with lots of natural reverb, but it would sound dead. That would be very useful, but I don't know if it's physically possible.

Maybe there is a way to do it with phase cancellation. If you could produce a sound perfectly out of phase with the reflection in the room, you could reduce or eliminate the reflection.
This is easily done with IR measurement and real time deconvolution, but it only works with the cab and listener at a single point. To do so globally requires immensely complex processing that cannot be done realtime right now and that academics are still debating just how realistically it can be done in more than two dimensions.

Ripthorn

If one were to use a no-load pot for the wah, it could probably be designed to do what you want, no switch required. Alternatively, you could do something like a theremin-controlled wah like what ZVex makes.

Silent Sound

Listening to an old guitar solo by Eric Johnson, the less visited corners of his repertoire, the main title song of his 90s album "Venus Isle". I think in the outtro chorus flurry of notes, there's a line, that's very fast playing and drops, ends with a Wah note.

I've thought of this for years. That WAH note goes from HEEL to TOE without ever having to switch the wah on first with the extra pressure needed for switching it on, in TOE mode. He doesn't make ANY break or pause in his notes prior to switching the wah on. This one has ever eluded me. The tone of the solo prior is not with the wah active in any position. It is switched on in the HEEL mode. I would like a wah where I can with ONE pressure (not needed two feet to operate this) switch the wah on when it is in heel mode. Otherwise you must be musically silent while pressing the wah on, and bring it back up before you play that OOOAHHH note.

Listen to it at... 4:43...on for a few seconds descending typical EJ fast flurry line and it ends with...not a half cocked wah, but a single wah note from full heel to full toe, must be a splice:

You mean like a Morley Bad Horsie II? It's switchless. Or, at least the switch is activated when you put pressure anywhere on the pedal, so you can activate it in the middle if you like.

Gurn

Ok let's hear it, there are so many pedals on the market but is there one you wished existed but doesn't?
A pedal that gave me:

1. Cliche classic rock lead guitar riffs I wouldn’t have to learn. (Triggered via MIDI)
2. Classic Rockabilly rhythms I can’t possibly play (tempo controlled via MIDI)
3. A setting for composing Bossa Nova chord changes - randomly generated like KORG Karma.
4. A cliche lyric generator guaranteed to satisfy. Randomly generated.
5. For lagniappe, optional banjo & accordion accompaniment for busking on the beach or in malls.

LordThurisaz

A ProCo Rat Trap -- rotary switch for five clipping options (clean, dirty, turbo, standard, and mosfet), fat switch, Ruetz knob, and a switch to make the clipping asymmetrical with mosfet. Also has a second circuit before the Rat, which gives something similar to a Super Tube Screamer with mid boost knob.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat, and probably sell off 4/5ths of my pedal collection as a result.

megatrav

Supporting Member
I just want to say that this is the best thread that has been on this web site probably ever. Just fun and no bashing!

Mine would be a pedal that plays the guitar for me with telepathy so I can just do other activities like drink beer and play chess while ripping a sweet solo.

U65_RN

They may already make this: is there something that mimics the “sweet spot” on the stage where you get great sustain that morphs into musical feedback? Guys like Santana do it. I’ve seen Ted Nugent do it. Is there a pedal that does that? You know, so I can do it as a bedroom guy? (LOL)
Digitech Freqout

amstrtatnut

Something that does swells like a volume knob or pedal.

My Line 6 Echo Park did swells but if the notes were too close together it didnt track them very well.

jvin248

specific pedals for player-in-a-box. Get that merle haggard, hendrix, kiss destroyer, tom petty, pink floyd, money for nothing, etc tones in one pedal. the player may have used a dozen pedals but the tone is in this one box. different player in a different box. There are an evh and a hendrix boxes already, but other artists. like brad paisley chicken picking.

A dual delay tape echo. Specifically a dual delay version of the BED
So, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Pre + Strymon Volante?

Or, here’s a little more of a DIY version: Two BED pedals, each in a loop of the new Electro-Harmonix Switchblade Pro. This can run the BED’s in series or parallel then combine them back together. Yeah, it takes up more space for sure. But at least it’s possible.

So, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Pre + Strymon Volante?

Or, here’s a little more of a DIY version: Two BED pedals, each in a loop of the new Electro-Harmonix Switchblade Pro. This can run the BED’s in series or parallel then combine them back together. Yeah, it takes up more space for sure. But at least it’s possible.
I wasn’t thinking of running them into each other rather than just having the option for switching between 2 different settings on the fly. Cause who wants to bend down and change settings?

I always wanted the BOOMERANG LOOPER to have loop storage.
Agreed. I also have a Boss RC-300 and a Pigtronix Infinity both of which can store loops so I can do instant live albums from solo guitar shows.
But the Boomerang is something a lot of people love and that's one feature missing from it.

Trending Topics