What pedal do you wish existed?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matt P, May 13, 2019.

1. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure how they marketed it but it's just a single boost pedal.

The main incremental trick that I'm suggesting is one foot switch toggles between two differently constructed circuits, voiced carefully to balance humbucker and single coil guitars in your rig without killing their character

2. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

Wish? Here you go...

Great sounding Rotary Pedal with the following features:
    • Standard Boss/MXR sized enclosure
    • Mix knob
    • Fast and Slow knobs - concentric ok
    • Tone and Drive knobs - concentric ok
    • Ramp adjustment
    • Stereo option
    • Expression pedal option
    • Since a 2nd button for speed might be tight in a standard sized pedal, one button operation would be ok if you could (1)press for on/off and (2)double/tap or press/hold for speed change -- Releasing the button does not change the speed back. This would be similar to entering the tap function of a DD7 and other pedals. Or more like a Neunaber Echelon, which gives you access to both on/off and tap regardless of whether the pedal is on or off.
    • 9v operation
    • Priced under $200

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  3. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I'll check them out. I just know that I love the offerings from Wampler, Fulltone, and Barber. Thanks!

Edit: The Soulmate looks VERY intriguing!

4. chlorinemist

chlorinemist Member

True stereo analog ladder filter w/ full midi control, presets, plus LFO, step sequencer and envelope that can be assigned to all parameters

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  5. Feverdog

Feverdog Member

A pedal that makes my amp sound like it does after an hour or more of being on without waiting an hour. No OD pedal I've ever played can do that, no matter how good the OD pedal it didn't really sound good until the amp had been cooking a good hour.

6. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

To build this, you'd first have to invent a time travel device that would allow you to sample audio from sounds in the future.

7. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

I haven't even come close once. But now you've piqued my interest on buying a tiny amplifier.

8. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

OD/Distortion Pedal with: Pre-EQ > OD/Gain > active Post-EQ. A drive pedal with both pre & post distortion EQ in one pedal. Maybe throw in nice compressor in there too for fun. Maybe Ethos OD with HRM mod would do this. I dunno.

Or: Maybe an OD pedal with a loop that can be blended in parallel or series with the OD. Series loop can also be pre or post distortion. You could add another drive or fuzz to blend in in parallel or quickly switch order of pedal gain.

9. music321

music321 Member

I agree with your want for a lack of attack in a delay. I PM'd someone, possibly you, quite a bit about it a few years ago. It seems that the answer is a pedal that can use software to attenuate the first tenth of a second of a note. The technical problem is deciding what is the start of a note, aside from the other signals coming in. Another problem is that you'd always be 1/10 off in time, that you might have to adjust for.
    I've dealt with this also. Working solutions have been to replace the caps in the guitar to make the pickups as muddy as possible, while picking lightly with the pads of my finders. Using a compressor/expander might work to some degree, also.

I know someone that had a recording work around for this. He plugged every note from the guitar into a synthesizer, cutting off the first 1/10 of a second or so. This way when he hit a key, he was playing a decaying guitar note.

I don't know if there's a good technical solution to all this or not. The two best solutions I can think of are switching to a violin, which would give you a string sound without percussion, or switching to a keyboard synth. It's not for nothing that so much ambient/EDM is made with synths.

ThinPaperWings and chlorinemist like this.
  10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

This is actually the sound that Tom Scholz used for all the Boston stuff, and you can approach it somewhat by using his preamps, like the Sustainer. The pre-gain EQ tends to be fixed, though. I think Rocktrons 90s preamps had both pre and post gain EQ, but were otherwise pretty boring sounding. You could, of course, add EQ before and after a gain stage by using 3 pedals, or by building a pedal yourself with 3 stages.

I think you and I might have talked about this. I'd hoped that the delays with effects loops might solve the problems, but most of them have the loop in the feedback for the delay, so it doesn't affect the FIRST echo. The best I've been able to think of is something like the Pigtronix Philosopher King which has both a compressor and an envelope generator to remove the attack from the note.

chlorinemist likes this.
  11. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

Of course you could stack these fx to do that. Also my HX Stomp can do it easily (load up a preset with two EQs, drive/preamp, & compressor). Just thought it would be cool in one analog pedal.

chlorinemist likes this.
  12. chlorinemist

chlorinemist Member

Is that true?? That’s a huge flaw!

Honch likes this.
  13. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I think the Danelectro Spring King uses a short spring, but I haven't heard of anyone using DSP to enhance the sound. That could be very interesting.

Glitch Magnet likes this.
  14. anchor

anchor Member

If you're talking about the Aquarius, I don't think so. What I want is a complete modulation solution; tremolo, flanging/phasing, chorus, vibe/rotary, etc.

@Jack DeVille
    I use an expression pedal as a "deverber". Works a treat!

Jack DeVille likes this.
  15. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a "deverber". I'm imagining a device that would allow me to play in a very live room with lots of natural reverb, but it would sound dead. That would be very useful, but I don't know if it's physically possible.

Maybe there is a way to do it with phase cancellation. If you could produce a sound perfectly out of phase with the reflection in the room, you could reduce or eliminate the reflection.

Honch likes this.
  16. anchor

anchor Member

@twoheadedboy
    No, mine is a more pedestrian solution for removing the reverb from the sound of the instrument signal. The only two ways I know of to deal with a boomy room is with room treatment or filing it with people :)

17. doc

doc Member

A Matsumin Valvecaster in a nice enclosure for less than $35 with a wall wart power jack. I know it would be very easy to build my own but I don't have the time.

18. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

A tape delay unit that uses 8-track cartridges.

There are plenty of cheap tapes still around. All that has to be done is splicing out the little piece of foil that changes tracks.

19. Onemoorescott

Onemoorescott Member

Valhalla Shimmer reverb in a pedal.

20. Blooby

Blooby Member

A loop pedal with memory slots, an adjustable fade-out time, an adjustable fade-in time, two loops at once that can be either linked or independent, reverse, and some basic effects for the loops (last one is optional).

Just thinking out loud with this one... Curious if it would be possible to have a loop (loop as in pdeal swicthing system this time) with a mix control. For instamce, if you didn't want all the signal from a Phase 90 for instance, could there be a mix control on each loop? Perhaps with expression pedal mix control.

Blooby