What pedal does the best Vibratone? (NOT leslie)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ruger9, Jan 23, 2015.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Member

I have a Rotosphere, which is a LESLIE pedal.... and have been thru all the others with the exception of the Ventilators (which are also LESLIE pedals).

I'm now looking for a VIBRATONE sound- out of a pedal- but when I had the Lex, Line 6, etc.... I wasn't paying attention to that, because at the time, I wanted the leslie sound.

Which current pedal does the best VIBRATONE? (and also- can a VIBE be used for this very well? I have a UV-1, and on vibrato setting it gets kinda close, but not great....)

2. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

Haven't used one personally, but I'd check out the Maggie from big tone music brewery.

3. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

The Maggie, and the T Jauernig Tiki Tongue, are both based on the Magnatone amp, I believe, not the Vibratone. The Hammond pedal has a mode for the Leslie 18 model, I haven't tried it, I use a Vent 2 for what it's worth.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Member

Magnatone amp vibrato isn't the same thing as a Fender Vibratone..... the Fender Vibratone is an amp/rotating baffle thing, all unto itself... it's not the "vibrato" channel on an amp, and the effect is achieved a different way.... it's far closer to a leslie than to an amp vibrato.

[​IMG]

5. husker

husker Member

Try the Option 5 Destination Rotation Single. I believe that was designed specifically to emulate the Vibratone.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Member

I did- it was one of the first ones I tried years ago, sounded very phaser-ish to me....

7. Tex Milo

Tex Milo Supporting Member

I heard a guy really getting some SRV/Jesse Davey tones out of neo mini vent the other day. Have you tried that? Like it sounded scary close to a vibratone

8. dcbc

dcbc Member

9. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

What are some recorded examples of Vibratones?

10. ruger9

ruger9 Member

SRV's Cold Shot is one of the more famous ones.

11. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

The Rotochoir does that sound really well! I use it more than the Leslie 122 (BIAMPED) mode.

12. ruger9

ruger9 Member

hmm.... I had a Rotochoir, and returned it almost immediately.... but only because it was no match for my Rotosphere. At the time, I was not looking for a Vibratone sound....

13. ruger9

ruger9 Member

Just read a review (Premier Guitar) of the MXR Uni-vibe, and it specifically said that on the vibrato mode it could do convincing Fender Vibratone sounds.... hmm....

That's a big thing I was wondering, because I was experimenting with that on my UV-1... what was throwing me off is, it seems everyone always uses CHORUS on all these different Univibe pedals, not vibrato... but then I guess that is kind of it's own thing, made famous by Hendrix, et al.

14. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

The Fender Vibratone is the same as a Leslie 16... So it is actually a Leslie. Not a full Leslie though, just speaker into a rotating baffle, without the rotating upper horn. Leslie made lots of different models of them, not just the model 16 and 18. Most of them were for spinet organs. I had a Leslie 110 for a while as an extension speaker.

15. gmann

gmann Member

I have a Boss CE-2 that will do that sound. Actually my CE-3 will do a pretty convincing Cold Shot.

16. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

Retrosonic Chorus or the Arion Chorus (Japan) for Vibratone

17. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yup! First hit in that song made me instantly fall in love with rotating speakers. SRV used rotary cabs soooooooo well. Of course, having about 5-10 other amps on stage doing various stages of clean and drive also helped it not take over the mix which I've learned is my biggest issue in replicating that tone. You really need one amp dedicated to the rotary tone and at least one other playing a clean signal from the guitar with zero modulation on it. Best I ever got was with three amps, one rotary, one clean, one with low-gain. It was epic.....but.....way over the top and difficult to setup. It'd take me forever to setup like that again; which is probably why you only see folks with roadies doing massive multi-amp setups if they aren't going to sit in the same place for a long time in a studio.

18. ruger9

ruger9 Member

Well, my understanding is the Vibratone, unlike the leslie, was intended to be used in conjunction with another amp... so there's your "dry blend".... but a pedal with a MIX or DEPTH control, I would think, might be able to balance the rotary and dry sounds.... unlike most of the leslie pedals out there, which completely overtake your sound. That's actually what has me more interested in the VT sound now.... it's more subtle than any of the leslie pedals.

Help!I'maRock! likes this.
  19. Daka3

Daka3 Member

The Roto Choir has a good-sounding VT-mode that can get quite subtle.

20. ruger9

ruger9 Member

I think the only pedals I have found that have an ACTUAL Vibratone mode are the Line 6 Roto-Machine (and the Behringer clone), the RotoChoir, and the Hammond pedals.... I wonder when that Hammond "G" pedal will finally be available?