What pedal for Gary Moore lead tone for tele into clean amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Looking for a high gain pedal that can make a thick lead sound for a tele without being buzzy and has good sustain. I play into a fender 6L6 amp that is basically clean sounding.

Kind of a challenge for a tele... and maybe even impossibe.

Some pedals I have tried... modded bad monkey (great value and thickens the tone in a way I like but becomes buzzy when need to cut through), timmy (great sounding pedal and good od/dist for rhythm but put does not thicken tone enough for single note hard rock solos), bb preamp (good thick sound but compressed and not enough note hang time).

Any ideas?

2. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Which Gary Moore lead tone? He sounds different every time I hear him. And by the way, NOTHING is impossible for a Tele.:AOK

3. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia

Tele's are great guitars no doubt but you can never get one to deliver that thick rich tone like a Gretsch, or an LP, or an SG, IMHO. So you will have trouble getting GM's tone on "After Hours" or "Blues". What amp does GM use - Marshalls ??

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Gary Moore is mainly a Marshall user (often a Bluesbreaker Combo or a TSL half-stack). He is known to have used to Marshall Gov'nr pedal, and last year in an interview stated that he was now very fond of the T-Rex Moeller Overdrive, which he used a lot. Don't know the pedal well, but it has received good reviews.

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

The Crunch Box will do well, also the box of rock but will certainly depend alot on that closed back cabinet thunk, I often hear open back Blackface amps sound similar when turned up flat out though.

6. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Barber Direct Drive will definitely get you into that Marshall zone, thick, sustain and you can really punch up the harmonics w/ the tone knob pull function.

7. amphead777

amphead777 Member

He uses a Soldano a lot. The MI Tube Zone is a Soldano in a box (close).

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

Tube Zone is a great choice. Crunch box would also do. Landgraff MO'D is another choice.

9. mmcquain

mmcquain Member

Depends on which Gary Moore tone you want...

I've got similar sounds out of a Metal Zone (find the right mid frequency to cut). The Dano Daddy-O can get some of his tones (again the mid control is key). But the Crunch Box would probably be my choice (actually it also has an internal control to help select the frequency range of it's tone control - at least the newer Crunch Boxes). Good luck... I love his "Still Got The Blues" and "Parisianne Walkways" tone as well.

Oh, try rolling the tone control off on the guitar and use the neck pickup.

10. r080

r080 Member

+1 on the Tube Zone--great with a tele.

11. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

We were playing Still Got the Blues and it was a fun tune (even though I like his harder / faster stuff).

I tried the crunch box but had a different guitar and amp at the time. It seemed just a hair too gainy then... maybe I am nitpicking. But overall mi audio has great pedals for a very fair price. Is the tubbe zone more marshall or mesa boogie sounding?

How about barber pedals like the direct drive or??? I tried the small fry and did not bond with the tone quality (maybe a fet thing). Maybe the direct drive or burn eq is thick sounding.

12. Caretaker

Caretaker Supporting Member

Marshall Guv`nor into a Bluesbreaker or SLO for the blues stuff. Also uses a tube screamer.

13. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Jetter Gain Stage Blue would be a good choice...but you really need some humbuckers to get closer to Gary's last couple of album tones. A Tele ain't gonna cut it bro. It's just not going to get you close to his sound, unless you throw some humbuckers in the body. A good Les Paul type guitar through any good Marshall type amp...Marshall, Germino, Roccaforte, Bogner... would get you right about there! BTW, Gary is the LOUDEST guitarist I have ever seen, and I've seen most of the great ones live. He is also the fiercest in pure hand/finger power...and trust me, I used to study with Paul Gilbert, so when I say that, it has some weight behind it. Amazing conviction in his playing that shames most guitarists.

14. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

No point in repeating wots been said :D

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I've played Gary's "Still Got the blues" and "Pretty Woman" & "King of the Blues" live quite a few times with a Gibson SG->Crunchbox->Reverb or Delay (just a touch to thicken it up)->Mesa Boogie 5:50->2x12 closed cab with V30's. That really nails his tone

Don't know how you'd get close with a Tele :YinYang

16. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I bought my 62 Tele many years ago and someone had replaced the microphonic neck pickup with a 68 Strat pickup. I owned a 78 Les Paul Standard as well at the time and belive me I can get tones out of that Tele on the neck pickup that rival those of the Les Paul. So much that I eventually sold the LP as it sat unused in a case for years. Of course now I wish I had it back just for the investment purposes but that's another story.:jo
    My ReezaFratzitz gets me close to Gary Moore tones with my Tele into a clean BF Super Reverb and/or a Boogie Mark II.