What pedal for the extra kick?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by el nino, Sep 12, 2008.

1. el nino

el nino Member

Ok so i have a modded Marshall JMP (1975),the sounds i can get are somewhere beetwen ac dc live sound (angus) and black crowes (circa 1992-before the boutiqe stuff) it's trebly setup even with a gibson les paul.and for the stuff i'm playing now (again black crowes type stuff) it's fine,but with the new band i'm starting to play a little more aggressive (think slash's snakepit,alice in chains...) and i need to get that extra kick...you know that fat,meaty tone.i was thinking to use BOR or OCD?but will that get me in the alice or snakepit ballpark?the sound i wanna get is something like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPK2mzKH4LY

2. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

3. d-b

d-b Member

two BoR/OCD threads in one sitting!

I have both and to me and if I had to cover that song I would go straight for my OCD. Better for higher gain (to me) and more mid bite while still warm and meaty.

good luck!

4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

5. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I've been pretty impressed with my OCD as well. You might want to stack that with a good Tubescreamer. You'll get good, gainy, fat tones.

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I would start with straight clean boost. These add no gain of there own (only volume) but boost the preamp gain in your amp by providing a hotter signal - this is amp overdrive in the vintage sense. This is your amp on 11-12.

From there you could look at treble booster type pedals which add a little bit of gain and a boost to the upper midrange. Again this is a vintage approach and will give you hi gain sounds made famous by the likes of Jimmy Page, Toni Iommi, Richie Blackmore and Jeff Beck.

Next up is using OD's as dirty boosts. Any Tubescreamer/clone will work here. The Boss SD-1 is a nice cheap option as is the Bad monkey.

The timmy was designed for this and I can attest to its value pushing marshall amps. OCD and BOR are good choices although I found both of them to be bass heavy which may be a good thing if your amp is thin.

You could also use as EQ pedal as a frequiency and volume boost. I'm pretty sure Slash's signature nasal thunder is partly due to the fact that he always ran a Boss eq set for mid boost infront of his Marshalls.

7. 4styx

4styx Member

The British Ball Breaker will get you there to a tee.

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

SD1/TS808 or Red Llama/OCD

9. el nino

el nino Member

well everybody said that the amp is killer,but to my ears it's kind of thin/trebly...the main mod on the amp is that it works on 50w now and volume 1 is the power amp volume and the volume 2 is the preamp (gain) volume...most of the times volume 1 is on 2 or 3 and preamp is on 9 its ANGRY LOUD! but as everybody i want the fattest sounding amp... :) so i see most of you guys would use OCD...but what about MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive or M1 crunch box i think those are pretty nasty pedals...and to my ears have more gain then OCD.oh yeah don't hate me now but i never really liked tubescreamers...and i do need bass i run the bass on 10 and can't see much difference beetwen 4 and 10,but i guess old marshalls are like that.eq is also good idea...

10. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

The harder you push it, the thicker that amp will sound. I'd definitely say look closer at a booster than a straight distortion pedal.

My recomendation for the sounds you are going for would be a boost with just a bit of grit and plenty of extra volume on tap. I'm a huge fan of the Solid Gold Sound Labs High Octane pedal.

Into a clean amp (tweed deluxe clone for me), it makes everything sound like early Black Crowes. Into an on the verge Marshall Stack (I use a Plexi clone with my band), it makes everything bigger, tighter, fuller, and more focused.

Here are some clips to give you an idea of how the pedal sounds, but keep in mind that a boost pedal works it's magic by working with your gear. They will sound quite a bit different depending on the player and the gear.

http://www.solidgoldfx.com/high_octane.php

11. el nino

el nino Member

it sounds really wonderfull!but i forgot to say that i'm from croatia so for the boutiqe stuff (here in croatia we have fullltone,m1 audio,maxon,keeley,voodoo labs,xotic and thats it) it would be pretty much expensive ordering that kind of stuff...the amp is fine the way it is but it isn't bass heavy or fat sounding and distortion is beautiful but not as crunchy...its more of a smooth sounding,thats just to my ear anyway.and i did consider using treble booster but i think that it would sound much more vintage,and i need more of a modern sound... :) but thanks!

12. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

13. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Of the pedals available to you The OCD would be a fine choice as it has a good low gain sound (no need to add a ton of pedal gain), TONS of volume boost available, and a switch for 2 different bass responses.

The more I think about it the more I believe that you should address some of your tonal issues at the source - your amp. There is no reason that amp should be overly bright or lacking in bass. There are all kinds of minor things you can do that circuit to make it sound better. You can also add a bit of gain with a few VERY simple component modifications - nothing radical, and they would be completely reversible. Here is the holy grail forum of all things Marshall. Check it out and you'll see what I mean.

http://forum.metroamp.com/

14. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I hear what you are saying about your amp. I had a Marshall JMP, and ther was NOT much difference between 4 and 10 on the BASS knob. My amp had master volume, and yes it was a little thin at low volume. Up on 6, the amp wakes up. Even in a club I could rarely play on 6. (50w) So I can see why you want a pedal that's OK. Not a vintage pedal. Not a tubescreamer. No worries. You want a pedal that can simulate the amp on 6, but with some extra. The Zak Wylde is based on the SD-1 I think. Not a bad choice, but you want better quality.
    The best bet is the OCD, I think. Very modern, has a bass boost. Lots of volume, and not too expensive. If you can't find a good deal in Croat, maybe you could buy from US, the pedal is a bargain these days over here.

15. shngn7

shngn7 Member

+1.

16. MojoFilter

MojoFilter Member

Clean boost for me. I'd use a Seymour Duncan pickup booster. It's built well, true bypass, gets the job done, and it won't break the bank.

17. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Throbak ODB. That does it very well.

18. vhollund

vhollund Member

Have you tried dialing out the treble on the amp?

19. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

Proanalog Dirt Royale w/Cheese

20. novawind

novawind Member

Get a Timmy and an attenuator and CRANK IT. :dude