what pedal gets the 'no quarter' fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sabbath90, May 17, 2006.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

my band has worked out a really neat arrangement of this song and i was wondering what would get as close as possible to the fuzz on the main riff? my fuzz factory gets close but it's a little too wild. thanks.

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Nice tone. I think it's not a fuzz at all but Page plugged direct into the mixing console and pushng the preamp into distortion.

Some old Shin-Ei fuzzes have a tone close to that and perhaps you could get something out of the E-H Graphic Fuzz or the Micro-Synth without envelope. Sorry, no boutique stuff comes to mind.

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Maybe I am wrong, but I think Jimi is playing through a wah pedal.

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I can nail it with my HomeBrew Electronics UFO.

I like the idea that it was Page going direct and overloading the board. John Lennon did the same thing on "Revolution". I've been after that sound in a pedal for years!

5. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Hendrix was on this song?? :eek:

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I think you have confused the sound we are talking about with the Hohner electra-piano thorugh the EMS VCS3 synthesizer, which creates a wah-like sound.

7. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Supposedly "Black Dog" is several overdubbed tracks direct into the board, so it wouldn't be out of Page's known repertoire. "No Quarter"'s guitar is much less annoying than the Beatles' "Revolution" tone though!

Edit: Probably used a ToneBender direct into the board, with about half the fuzz coming from the pedal and maybe half from the impedance mismatch into the board. (???)

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Sounds about right!! The Blackdog sound was a combination of Urei compressors been driven aswell as the preamps on the board. What a sound! Infact... not very far from the No Quarter sound considering the Black Dog guitars were clearly overdubbed whereas it sounds like No Quarter has just one guitar on the riff.

One or the other, it's a great song!

9. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

do you guys think the version of "no quarter" in their live concert "the song remains the same" tone comes close to the studio version? the tone is similar I think.... in the video I think Page basically plugged his tonebender into his Marshall and just went nuts with his (Vox?) wah....

10. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

Jimmy only used the wah on that song when playing live. The studio version doesn't use a wah.

- Keith

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

kgmeisser,

as I said, the only wah-like sound on the recorf is J-P Jones' Hohner Electra-Piano running through the VCS3.Same synth as used by The Who and Pink Floyd B.T.W. You can see Roger Waters fiddling around on it on Live at Pompeii in the studio scenes while recording TDSOTM. I'd love one of those...

12. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

Just clarifying that Jimmy did indeed use a wah on "No Quarter," but it was only in live situations.

I know which scene you're talking about on "Live at Pompeii," and that device is pretty hot.

- Keith

13. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

They go fo rcrazy amounts nowadays and they don't even stay in tune! Still pretty nice though...

14. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

The final "touch" to the studio version of No Quarter is the slowing down of the tape speed to get the right overall effect ... listen to how Plant's vocals sound. The whole track is about a quarter tone flat from standard pitch as a result, and the guitar sounds a little more synth-like than usual. I believe that the most reasonable thing to do would be to try to approximate the live version ... Tonebender, Wah, Marshall.

15. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

+ get someone to play random stuff on a grand piano for quarter of an hour...

16. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

I thought the fuzz-only setting of the Fulltone Ultimate Octave got pretty close to it. Fairly thinned out and buzzy.

johnetone likes this.