What pedal goes with the Zendrive like bread and butter?

KevinFinn

Do you mean for stacking, like another dirtbox of some kind?

'Cause otherwise the question is too wide-open. I'd answer, "A Boss DD-20 Giga Delay." :p

If you meant OD specifically, I'd stack it with a Kalamazoo. Between the Zen's VOICE control and Kalamazoo's GLASS control, you'd have the perfectly dialed and clear high end of studio sound without any harshness you don't want.

Cosmogang

A klon or a Klone works great.
Adds "peak" and "sizzle" to the warm buttery spread of the Zendrive.
I'm sure the Kalamazoo would do the same.

StompBoxBlues

OCD, I find the Zen a little dark on its own and the OCD is a little bright but together they are almost perfect.
When I was using OD (nowdays am using my amp, Budda SD, for OD) I also paired up the two. For me the difference is as you describe but also the Zen is...I have to be careful here, it's not "middy" so much as "the exact right kind of mids to cut beautifully but not be boxy", and OCD is not at all middy to me. The OCD can give more of a (being careful again, I don't mean it sounds just like but in the direction of..) SLO-100 kind of OD.

I wasn't stacking, I was using the Zen for that sound, the OCD for another and thought they were different enough to complement each other without being so different that I sounded like two different guitarists..

Keep in mind I have never tried a Tim or Timmy and think they also are in that style (as OCD) with less coloring of tone.

I do have a Klon and that too went well alongside the Zen.

I used the Zen the most..and most of the time was running into a clean amp that took the pedals great (clean channel of a Hot Rod DeVille).

You ought to mention if you are asking about stacking, or using as two different OD's, or a little of both for best help.

aflynt

Klon or HBOD after a Zendrive or a Rangemaster before it all sound fantastic. Disclaimer: these recommendations are all based on facsimiles of the original pedals I built using Madbean pre-etched printed circuit boards (Sunking, Yellow Shark and Serendipity) so YMMV.

-Aaron

tomuchroc41gtr

Silver Supporting Member
As stated above, it really depends what you're looking for. I LOVE my Zen for singing leads but I found it a big lacking for rhythm stuff. I'm stacking it into a Wampler Ecstasy and it sounds fantastic! It sounds so natural...more like an extention of the Ecstasy but adds the characteristics I love about the Zen whenever I need a lead boost. I'm actually thinking about having them rehoused in a single enclosure. If you like the D sound, you owe it to yourself to try this combo.

definitetones

OCD, I find the Zen a little dark on its own and the OCD is a little bright but together they are almost perfect.
That's funny. I feel the opposite way about these pedals, the OCD feels "darker" to me. I do feel like the Zen has more midrange than the OCD. I have a v1 OCD.

papablue

I use a Fat Boost... original. I really the pedal on its own just to give a slight boost of balls to my cleans. And with the Zen, it seems to bring it up a notch, slightly more gain, but really pushes the Voice setting.

DavidS

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Zendrive in front of a Box of Rock. Zen for solos, BOR for mild crunch or boost. I also have a Timmy but like the BOR better with the Zen with my amps.

Trending Topics