What Pedal is Closest to a Skreddy Mayo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by javahut, Aug 7, 2008.

1. javahut

javahut Member

What pedals get close to a Mayo tone and feel? Really like to have a Mayo, but they're few and far between, and when they're not, cost an arm and a leg. Anything else that gets similar big fat tone?

Thanks.

2. IvIark

IvIark Member

Righteous Tones Sonic Mayhem

3. ancient

ancient Member

I recently AB'd it against a new Russian Big Muff (black w yellow lettering)... Pretty damn close to my ears but I liked the Mayo a bit more.

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I had a Mayo and wasn't using it too much so I foolishly sold it thinking I wouldn't miss it. I don't know why because I loved the tone. I sold mine for a little over $200 and refuse to pay $400 to buy another one.
    Anyway, I've been on a search for something to replace it with and most of the Muff type fuzzes I've tried come up a little short on the thickness/huge factor.
    The Earthquaker Devices Hoof is the best substitute I've found and in some ways I prefer it to the Mayo. At $165 it is a great deal. At any price, it is the best I've found for this type of tone.

5. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

+1 on the Hoof. Both are Muff style fuzzes with a little extra gain on tap. The difference is that the Hoof is a little rounder and woolier and the Mayo is a little smoother and tighter.

Closer than the Hoof (don't discount it though, one of the greatest Muffs of all time and I liked it better than the Mayo), is the MJM Foxey Fuzz. A handwired muff-style mix of NOS and new components, it's got a little less gain than the Mayo, but I like it's tone better. I found a little more personality in it.

Neither the Hoof or the Foxey are going to do Smashing Pumpkins in a box as well as the Mayo, but both are of just as good quality and I personally like their fuzz tones much more (and I love the Mayo's tone, I just like those better).

For the best pure Mayo subsititute, I say do a BYOC kit and add the Creamy Dreamer mods (very easy to do) to it. I did this while I had the Mayo here and I got 95% there. For that final 5%, you need the Skreddy mojo and no one makes a substitute for that.

6. javahut

javahut Member

Thanks for the replies.

Listened to the clips of the Hoof & Foxey Fuzz. They do sound Big Muffish, but none of the clips sounded like what I like about the Mayo. But then again, on the Skreddy site, only Marc's clip sounds like what I'm hearing in the Mayo that I want. May have to bite the bullet on a Mayo... or do without.

Any others?

Thanks.

7. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I hate to say it because I'd really love to recommend you some $89 pedal that sounds like a Mayo but in my experience nothing else sounds like this pedal. The muffs I've had include Barber Trifecta, Dice Works Muff Diver, NYC Big Muff, Little Big Muff, Green Sovtek, Black Sovtek, Nano Muff, Ibanez OD-850, BYOC, Sweet Sound Pi Face, Skreddy - Ernie, Mayo, Top Fuel, Pink Flesh, Zero....They all do their own thing, and it's all a little bit different but none of them come close enough to say "Sure, just use _____ in place of the Mayo."