What pedals do u use with your Mazerati?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dzrati, Jul 15, 2006.

1. dzrati

dzrati Member

Just wondering what OD pedals folks out there are using with their Mazerati. My Clark/Barber Gainster is a nice pedal but it sounds a little harsh through my rati. Thanks for your suggestions!

2. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

When I had my 'rati, the fave dirt box was my HBE Powerscreamer.

3. dzrati

dzrati Member

Gonna take your suggestion Mike and try a Power Screamer. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks!

4. big mike

Let me know. It's a great OD. Check out the diode switch too. Very cool to have 3 voicings on tap. I liked the middle postion with that amp the most.

Loaned it to a friend. Gotta get it back the bastid!

5. jbro

jbro Member

If you notice any trace of that harshness when the amp is cranked with no pedals, then I would look into tweaking the amp before you go pedal hunting.

My Mazerati (12" combo) came with a V30 when I bought it.. I found it midrangey and a bit harsh at higher levels, and at lower leves with my OD pedals. I swapped out the speaker for a G12H30, put NOS JAN 5751's in both valve positions, and installed a Beam Blocker. Now it's the most organic, perfect sounding amp I've ever owned. Plenty of high end but not harsh or piercing. Every pedal that sounded raspy or sharp through it originally now sounds like a million bucks.

Just food for thought. Make sure your platform is tweaked just how you like it before you go building on it.

6. jbro

jbro Member

FWIW, I use a Keeley modded TS9, BB Booster, Fatboost, and a Lovepedal COT50 with my Mazerati.. they all serve different purposes and all sound great.

7. dzrati

dzrati Member

I'm using a 2-12 cab loaded with Tonkers. I'm not hearing any harshness when not using a pedal. I've never been a big pedal user but certain situations call for one. I've heard people mention beam blockers....what do they do?

8. dzrati

dzrati Member

I found a link to the Beam Blockers.......they sounds interesting!

9. big mike

Yeah, I have one cab set up with those. Work well.

10. jbro

jbro Member

Beam Blockers are great.. they spread the high frequencies out a bit so your cab is less directional (beamy). As a result, the amount of percieved highs directly in front of the cab is reduced. Here's a test: if you stand off to the side of your cabinet and your amp sounds great, but then walk right in front of the speaker and it bites your head off, Beam Blockers will probably help you out.

Also, at the risk of beating a dead horse - what you hear as "harsh" in your studio/living room/etc can be what actually gets you through the mix in a live scenario. It's always best to audition gear in the mix of a band (if you're going to be using it for live playing, that is).

11. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

12. myles111

myles111 Member

13. dzrati

dzrati Member

Got my Powerscreamer today and it works great. Really versatile with a lot of tonal options. Love the boost feature with the added fat switch too. Very quiet which is always a plus. Myles I had a Zendrive and sold it not long after I got it. Not sure what amp I had at the time but I think it was a Savage Match 12. They didn't seem to match well together but I see how the Zendrive would with my rati. Should have held on to it!!