What pedals do you like for 60/70s era, pre-TS-808 loud ass rock and roll OD tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, Oct 13, 2008.

1. somedude

somedude Member

You know, those loose, sputtery, occasionally squishy overdrives that add wierd octave artifacts, fart out while palm muting, or sound almost like a fuzz pedal if you turn them up too high?

What pedals do you like for 70s era, pre-Tubescreamer overdrive tones? And why?

2. charmboy

charmboy Member

I use a germanium fuzzface with the guitar volume rolled back slightly for this... it's perfect!

Rat is a good choice as well.

3. erksin

erksin Member

Fulltone '69
    Crispy Cream Treble Booster
    Skreddy Screw Driver

4. Gremson

Gremson Member

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

You'll get no octave like tones from it but you just asked for a RAT in every way! A high quality germanium Fuzz Face will get you there in some ways (and is a damn good choice for the late 60's ish tones you seek) but a RAT is the ticket for most of what it sounds like you're looking for...

OR...just another thought...look around for a really low buck fuzz tone from the 60's...a Kay, Or Jordan, Walco, Maestro, etc and you might be really happy with that short of finding an old one look at the AnalogMan Peppermint Fuzz

6. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

SD-9 analogman...kind of like the one i'm selling right now! :)

SPam I know...it really is great for classic/vintage Dirt tones though... IMHO ... why i'm selling it. I play contemporary worship, SO not classic rock.

7. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Analogman Sunface NKT275. Get all sorts of old-school tones by just using your guitars volume knob. I would also say OCD if you don't want to go into fuzz territory.

8. dylumph

dylumph Member

My band plays tons of 60s and 70s stuff and I've eliminated several pedals with a Fulltone GT-500.

Boost & Distortion with some good tweeking eq knobs on both.

9. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

i like the rangemaster,mxr distortion +,mxr dist 3,the tan ross dist,fuzz face,foxx tone machine(does octavia),a uni-vibe before od/dist and a classic sounding wah too!

10. bwc3000

bwc3000 Member

+1 on an old MXR Distortion+. To me it always sounds like the early Kiss records in a little mustard-color box. I have an old block logo one from 1980 which sounds exactly like Ace on Rock and Roll Over.
    Also good for 60s/70s-style overdrive is any kind of Colorsound Overdriver clone. I have one made by Vintage FX which sounds great...very well-made and affordable:

http://www.vintagefx.com/Colordrive.htm

11. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Damn that'll be one hell of a distorted tone after all that! :messedup

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

That's the first thing that went thru my mind...

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

As somebody who was playing back then I remember there weren't nearly as many choices as there are now. There were some fuzz pedals, but the most common OD/Distortion I remember was the MXR distortion+.