what pedals do you use to kick up an acoustic?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DreamTheaterRules, Oct 5, 2006.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I have a Taylor 614CE and I have an every week gig where we have to plug straight into a mixer. I'm wondering if an OD/boost or other such pedal would fatten up the tone of the piezos. I have an OCD, Fulldrive II, Keeley modded Blues Driver, Keeley modded TS-9, Jackhammer, XXL and several other pedals to try. I also have a chorus and verb to use after this, but want something upfront to fatten up the tone. Was looking at a Fulltone Fat Boost.

What do you guys use/ suggest?

2. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

You want a clean boost, something like the FA-1 or the new EHX Nano LBP-1 would do the trick. I wouldn't use any type of drive pedal with an acoustic unless you want to unload uncontrollable feedback upon your audience.

3. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Actually if you're willinng to give it a go, an RC Booster sounds pretty good with an acoustic. However I'm not so sure how it's going to sound straight into the mixer.

It'll be a good idea to use your existing low gain pedals with the mixer, it's a pretty indication how it'll take other pedals.

If you want to fatten up the tone, why not add some dimension by way of modulation, delays and chorus sound pretty nice with acoustic too.

Hope this helps!

4. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The BJF SBEQ was designed for your application exactly. It will also do wonders for an Electric rig. You may think it's a bit expensive but you won't once you hear it.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I used to use a Boss GE7 graphic equalizer... worked pretty well, and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

6. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

Yeah some subtle delay/chorus action will work great too. Michael Hedges was big on that stuff, seemed to work ok for him.

7. vinceman

vinceman Member

+1 on the GE7. transparent, and tweakable.
    A DG Stomp with preamp bypassed work great for me too. chorus and delay sound great with my accoustic guitar.

8. DreamTheaterRules

thanks guys, keep em coming. What I forgot to list :crazy was that I have a Boss CS-3 and a GE-7 both of which are COMPLETELY modded. Every cap, resistor and chip replaced with top of he line stuff.

Oh, and FWIW, I wasn't going to unleash the full furry of the Jackhammer on them! LOL I was thinking IF I used an OD (say OCD, FD II or Keeley Blues Driver most likely) that I'd have the level up and the gain/drive down.

As I said, I have already a chorus and verb, so that part is covered. What about BBE sonic stomp or Aphex Acoustic Exciter?

(just asking guys, I know they aren't "hi end" pedals which seem to be the norm here:))

Appreciate your input. It's "help the new guy" day! LOL

9. DreamTheaterRules

while we are on the subject, I haven't really had a chance to compare my tricked out comp to a Keeley or Dave's killer Tone Press. (got to tell you too, being new here, that its' pretty cool to see Dave B, and others that I have only heard about, posting in threads here).

And Wilbo, if all else fails, I might have to unleash the Jackhammer on them! :dude:dude (course, this is a church gig! HAHAHAHA)

10. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

DO IT!

You might try the FD2 in comp cut mode with the drive ALL the way down...

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I was going to recommend the compressor! With the comp set low and attack set high, your tone will fatten up like a newly married couple

12. notubble

notubble Member

I have been giggin with many Acoustic players this past summer and they all rave about the Acoustic Exciter. It doubles as a DI box and EQ. this will allow you to boost and hone in on some more tones, i have not used one, but have heard a few and they sound good to go into the board of a club.

I would go to Guitar Center and see if they have any, fool around with one..see wat you think

13. DreamTheaterRules

another friend just recommended the Yamaha Magic Stomp. the AG stomp is now in the Magic. And it's $79 at MF. Thoughts?

14. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

I've heard great things about them, especially for the price. Might be a good place to start, and if it doesn't work out you can always return it and try something else.

15. DreamTheaterRules

p.s. I'm not gonna get laughed out of this place for asking about inexpensive pedals am I? :rotflmao

(j/k)

16. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

I have a DS-1. :crazyguy

17. DreamTheaterRules

so do I.... (cough) keeley modded (cough) :JAM:JAM

18. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

I regularly gig with an Aphex Acoustic Xciter preamp- it makes my Takamine sound and feel about 50% better than straight in. Another one I'd like to check out is the LR Baggs Paracoustic DI, 'cause it has a notch filter for controlling feedback.

For overdrive, I use a Keeley Sparkledrive, and it lets you blend the overdrive with your straight acoustic tone; works great, and no feedback, unless you want it. It sounded great before the mod as well.

I use a Barber Tone Press compressor, and also had good results in the past with a Guyatone ST-2 comp.

I would definitely recommend a Feedback Buster in your soundhole.

I don't like a wash-y reverb on an acoustic, but I like to use a subtle delay with tap-tempo to fill out the sound, and occasional Leslie-type chorus or flanger to make certain things pop out in the arrangement.

I can't stand too much chorus on acoustic. I saw a gig the other night where a girl left her chorus on the entire set, and it just killed everything that I like in the tone and warmth of an acoustic guitar. :)

19. DreamTheaterRules

Uber,

Thanks for the input on the exciter and Tone Press. The TP has been on my list for a while. Heard lots of good things. Can't find one to audition though!

My Taylor has the Fishman Matrix Blend, so I can kill feedback at the guitar.

Also, unless I was going for effect, I'd use both verb and chorus mildly. I heard once that (this in in general, I realize it can be used to great effect at other times) "reverb should be felt and not heard." I use chorus the same way. You can't tell it's on until you turn it off. Just subtle use.

I got a big sales pitch from a friend yesterday. The Magic Stomp is only $79 at MF and includes the whole Acoustic Stomp in it. He says very good stuff for acoustic is in there, all by itself.

I'm glad to hear some good input on the Exciter. Don't hear much about it. Anyone have thoughts of it vs the BBE Sonic Stomp?

p.s. I missed an acoustic exciter on e-bay about a month ago, that went for $23! :FM I was in a meeting when it expired.

20. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

The Acoustic Exciter ain't bad but I think Radial is also coming out with two new products for the acoustic guitar that will be pretty cool (but maybe not cheap). I just tried the D-Tar Wavelength pickup and I'm converted.
    Much beter than a 9v piezo.