what pedals really drive a /13?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by akim37, Apr 7, 2008.

1. akim37

akim37 Member

hey guys. i have a divided by 13 rsa31. I'm just curious which pedals you guys prefer to have in front of your divided by 13 to really drive it. or do you just go guitar into amp? also does anyone run their head through an attenuator? thanks a bunch!

2. justin

justin Gold Supporting Member

I have some cool pedals I like in front of mine like a LDO, Eternity, Tim and such. They all sound good but the most pure way to drive it is to get the Divided by 13 Lift pedal or the Switchazel, which has the lift feature on it. Its just like reaching over and turning your volume up however far you want giving you that amount of drive. Plus the Switchazel enables you to switch between both sides of the amp and use the lift on either side. As soon as I heard my friends through my 31 and his 23 I ordered the Switchazel.

I also use a Zbrake with mine. Works for me. The bedroom setting wont work any miracles though.

Justin

3. Richards

Richards Member

I have a Div by 13 RSA 31 as well. Pedals I find that drive this amp good are. The Divided by 13 Dynaranger, killer killer combination. If you haven;t tried this pedal with your amp, I can guarantee you will not be disappointed. A Klon centaur works just as well, I set the gain at 3 o'clock, output at 12, and treble at 11, but I also stack this pedal with a Honey Bee (BJF) and both of these pedals provide a great moderate overdrive. Other pedals I have had success with are; Colorsound Overdriver (early 70's),and ZVex Box of Rock. The ZVex should definately give you what you want IMHO, of course, like I stated, this is my opinion, and my experience that has taken me through some financial ups and downs. My favorite by far is the D13 Dynaranger!!
    Cheers, Richards

4. akim37

akim37 Member

Does the Switchazel actually make the volume go up, or does it push the tubes giving it the appearance of turning the volume up?

5. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I really liked an xotic AC booster (newer version) into mine.

6. MarcFord

MarcFord Senior Member

The OCD works great, not to mention a Klon... Haven't tired to hit it with a Matchless Hotbox... um, I will try it today.

m

7. justin

It gets louder. It drives it a little sooner. It just sounds exactly like the amps natural gain. You can set the amount of lift however you want. My 31 is loud anyway. When volume is a concern I use my Z-Brake. I dont think they sound as good unless its being pushed a little whether Im using a drive pedal or not. There is a point on the volume where its not getting as much volume increase as it is gain. The volume comes on pretty quick on mine.

justin

8. justin

Well, there goes more of my money.:Spank

9. randy morser

randy morser Member

Eternity, Timmy, COT50, and Dynaranger are in front of mine. I'll bet they're right about the Box of Rock, too. I leave the Timmy on a lot if I can't turn it up enough to push.

10. Miles

Miles Member

Those amps have such clear clean tones that I wouldn't want to overdrive them, and would rather use a nice pedal to OD it. I like vintage/keeley rats and fulltone OCDs the best. They are smooth, nasty, clear, and full through any amp.

11. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

Used to run my Klon in front of my LDW setup and it sounded killer. It really brought out the beast in my /13 setup

12. stratofied

stratofied Member

Another vote for the COT50 and Eternity.. TIM works well also.

13. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Anything sounds pretty good through my RSA31. I like it the best without anything so my favorites are more clean boosts. I have a Cornish boost that sounds amazing with it. On the cheaper end of things an RC Booster and 65 Amps Colour Boost sound great with it too. Anything more grungy and I'd be using a different amp. Not that heavier sounding OD's and distortions don't sound good, it's just that the beauty of that amp is in the milder breakup range of things.

14. akim37

akim37 Member

I gotta try a timmy...they seem to be everyone's favorite pedal!!
    I'm not feeling my OCD through the rsa31. It just sounds too in your face for me. does anybody else feel the same way?...maybe not : [

I am feeling my keeley modded ts9 though!! : ]

15. ethandt

ethandt Member

Do you guys think the Dynaranger would work well with a Sun Face NKT275?

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have used many of the same pedals with a wide range of amps. If it is a good pedal it will generally sound good in just about any amp. I did have an amp that really didn't seem to like any pedal though.

17. teleking36

teleking36 Member

My Timmy works the best with my EDT 13/29. The OCD is great too, but takes some tweaking because of the sensitive volume control and amount of gain on tap. I also run the Beano Boost side of my Analogman Sunlion stacked on top of my Timmy for some great over-the-top tones, used mostly for lead and slide work.

FWIW, I had a D13 Lift for my JRT 9/15 and I have to admit that it mated so well with the amp (for obvious reasons). I may have to pick one up for my EDT sometime in the near future.

18. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Klon in front of a SJT 10/20 set for clean boost only is one of the best clean tones I've ever heard. Tim for mild break up and a Maxon SD9 for harder stuff.

19. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Anyone checked out the Divided by 13 range of pedals?

I'm really interested in them, would like to hear some experiences.

20. clarkram

clarkram Member

I only use a T Rex Replica in front of my rsa31 head. Lately I mainly run the click channel and use the guitar volume to control gain.