What pedals use the FV-1 chip ?

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
I know the Slö, Tensor, MOOD, Fathom, Afterneath and Atmosphere use it. Any other that you know ?

View attachment 284501
Tons of pedals use Spin FV-1 chip. Just to mention a few further to your list: Red Panda Context, Keeley 30ms Double Tracker, Keeley Amber Chamber Verb, Keeley Vibe-o-Verb, Lovepedal HSR-3 Multi Verb, Hermida Audio EPH-3 Tape Echo (other Lovepedal/Hermida pedals), Catalinbread Echorec, Catalinbread Talisman, Catalinbread Belle Epoch. The list can go on.
But that doesn't mean they are the same. Say, Lovepedal HSR-3 Multi Verb and Dr. Scientist Atmosphere are different league players imho.

soopajeanmi

In my understanding the FV-1 is a chip containing many algorithms very usefull and configurable to program reverbs, delays and modulations. I guess that chip doesn’t have many equivalent on the market.

It's mentioned here.

Weird. That’s wrong info. Details here:

amz-fx

Silver Supporting Member
The Spin FV-1 is an easy solution for a small pedal company to get into digital effects since it has the ADC, DAC, RAM and 7 sample fx programs all inside the 28-pin smt chip. Custom programs can be stored in an external EEPROM chip if desired, to give 8 extra programs. (Or more patches if you switch the address lines of the external memory) It gives a lot of bang for the buck, but some of the FV-1 users (like Keeley) have moved to more advanced chipsets.

regards, Jack

wblackmon

Silver Supporting Member
How can you track down a FV-1 demo/development board, either something already built (so I can just get to the programming) or something that’s easy to put together? Any advice? Thanks!

wblackmon

Silver Supporting Member
Also, I think both Pladask Elektrisk and Cooper FX base (some of) their pedals on the FV-1. I’m a huge fan of those pedals, but also intrigued with how so many excellent pedals have come from the same basic chip.

Wilhelm67

To add a few: at least a fair number of Mr Black reverbs & delays, JHS Lucky Cat/Pink Panther reissue, and the Dawner Prince Boonar (Deluxe will be a SHARC though),

Jack DeVille

The FV-1 is a fantastic DSP "system on a chip" but please do not fall into the camp of believing that all circuits using an FV-1 are the same.

At the end of the day, it is a "calculator" figuratively speaking, and to draw the parallel that all audio circuits using the FV-1 are the same is akin to proclaiming that all audio circuits using the "4558D" (or whatever whatever the "mojo chip" is) sound the same.
E.g. I have used both the FV-1 and the 4558 in a variety of circuits ranging from simple amplifiers to complex analog/BBD delays, as well as digital systems. (Examples are radically simplified in an effort to keep the text reply concise)

Like so many things: engineering is what separates a good one from another one.

With all that said: the FV-1 does offer a LOT in a small package, and I have not seen anything comparable offered yet. :)

Last edited:

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
SpinSemi had an updated version of the FV1 in development but then the main dude died so that halted the project I believe.

The major benefit of the FV1 is the relatively simple language it uses and the large database of code users can reference in designing a program. More advanced and powerful microcontrollers typically require a more advanced set of coding skills and outboard ADC.

vinyl_key

How does a pedal like the Slö have so many controls when an FV1 only supports 3? Does it have more than 1 in series?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The FV-1 support 3 knobs and a switch, IIRC. But the surrounding structures like volume, EQ and so one, are often implemented in analog and can have as many controls as you like.

I know @Jack DeVille, is a humble man, but to illustrate that not all FV-1 programs are the same, people hire him to write their algorithms for them! The basic chip is a wonderful building block, but the genius is in being able to make it stand up and bark for you. On the other end of the spectrum, you can buy chinese "multi-effects units" that basically just use the onboard sample algorithms and all sound the same (and pretty bland if you ask me).

Jack DeVille

The FV-1 support 3 knobs and a switch, IIRC. But the surrounding structures like volume, EQ and so one, are often implemented in analog and can have as many controls as you like.

I know @Jack DeVille, is a humble man, but to illustrate that not all FV-1 programs are the same, people hire him to write their algorithms for them! The basic chip is a wonderful building block, but the genius is in being able to make it stand up and bark for you. On the other end of the spectrum, you can buy chinese "multi-effects units" that basically just use the onboard sample algorithms and all sound the same (and pretty bland if you ask me).
Right. The parallel I like to draw is the calculator parallel. Any processor can be analogous to a calculator (massively simplified comparison); however, it is the operator (programmer) who determines what the output of the buttons pressed is/are.

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
Very interesting reading about this chip

nobody asked but
Sometimes I think I like my supposedly analog effects because they are “analog” and not “digital”; sometimes I think I like my supposedly analog pedals because they have the quality of the accidental about them, in the way the parts are necessarily limiting of the choices the designers and builders can make with the available parts and pieces - that there is only so much the designer can do, and then the materials combine into little electronic personalities that are independent of the human maker, and somewhere in there is room for me to play; and then sometimes I think the supposedly digital effects freak me out and put me off because they re-present the builder’s human choices exactly, it’s like that human personality is present, embedded irrevocably into the concepts, the controls, the performance, like a ghost in the sound, and the digital sheen is in fact a concept-mirror that shows
someone
else’s
face

- and then I give my freaked-out simple head a shake and go for a walk or something, and come back to enjoying all my pedals, digital and analog, and being fascinated by just how interesting they are

anyway, cool thread

Trending Topics