What pedals with silverface Princeton Reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Felixun1, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Felixun1

Felixun1 Member

I finally broke down an bought one, and of course now I'm wondering what the hell I was waiting for all these years. I love this thing, particularly with the Ragin Cajun speaker in it.

It sounds great with my Barber CDD, but I'm wondering what other OD and fuzz pedals people like with this amp.

2. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

A Klone will usually sound really good but all Klones are not the same. Wampler Tumnus?

The Hungry Robot Overdrive is fairly uncolored and works well if you like fairly low gain.

I also like the Bearfoot SYOD3 which can add a Tweed-like sound or Supro-ish pedals like a Lumpy's Jelly Roll, Bearfoot Honey Bee or JHS Superbolt.

I bet the new Supro Drive or DOD Looking Glass will work well too although I don't have them yet.

-bEn r.

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I was a big fan of the classic, any ts, any rat. Bearfoot Dyna Red for Marshall.

I didn't use fuzz though. No help there.

4. Clyde Bisbee

Clyde Bisbee Supporting Member

Stock BD-2 sounds killer with pretty much all my guitars thru my 78. Blue Note, Ghetto Stomp, Timmy, to say nothing of stacking/fuzz....it's a great pedal platform.

Kerry

5. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

I've got a '72 PR, and when it's turned up to five and six it sounds amazing with a Lovepedal COT. I'm super picky about OD pedals sounding fizzy, and the COT can definitely sound that way with certain amps (Fenders set clean in my experience), but I was very surprised to hear how great it sounds with the PR. It sounds like an amp turned up into the sweet spot where it's very volume knob and touch sensitive and got great sustain. Just a lifetime dream tone for my taste. A good choice for a COT is to get one of the newer Amp Eleven pedals with the independent COT, plus you get a great OD as well.

6. Sambone

Sambone Member

+1 for the Amp 11. OD11 is also nice.

7. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

The good news is a PR with Ragin' Cajun sounds great with pretty much anything. That speaker is a really good balance between scooped blackface/silverface sound and enough mids to sound balanced with a range of pedals. I particularly like the EQD Acapulco Gold lately with my PR.

Flatscan likes this.
  8. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

All of them.

A silverface Fender is the best pedal platform ever made. There's a reason you see them over and over in the best pedal demos.

duckbunny, alamere and TheRealDeal like this.
  9. Felixun1

Felixun1 Member

Wow, sounds like the possibilities are endless. Well, there goes the tax return.

Goku13 likes this.
  10. alamere

alamere Supporting Member

Agree.

They seriously take pedals really well.
    They work great with most pedals, especially overdrives.
    They LOVE Klon and TS types, agree on that.

The only pedals I don't think they work best with are maybe the more specific to Marshall/top boost camp type pedals.
    Treble boosters, perhaps some germanium fuzz types...
    that being said, they still work well with some of those pedals... just not QUITE as magical as some other amps might...

11. oaeoeao

oaeoeao Member

Fuzz, Drive, Chorus, Phaser, Delay, Reverb, Boost would sound good.

How about:

Stomp Under Foot Civil War
    Timmy
    Boss CS-2 (or Dr. scientist Cosmichorus)
    Empress Phaser (or Skreddy Litttle Miss Sunshine)
    Catalinbread Talisman (for plate Reverb, you've already got spring.)
    Analogman Bad Bob (or any buffer)

So many options!

12. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member

Pretty much the ultimate pedal platform amp (in my opinion). It was rare that I ever found a pedal that sounded bad w my Princeton.

I will say that I put a Jupiter condenser ceramic speaker in mine and it sounded fantastic in a Princeton. Not an expensive speaker either.

13. Lobomov

Lobomov Member

Arent you just supposed to bias it hot, plug in a tele and just crack it? :D

But one more for a klon type like the tumnus

14. mattpas

mattpas Silver Supporting Member

I use a Princeton Reverb to test fuzz pedals and they all sound great through it.

15. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

FD2 non mosfet sounds great with a Princeton. I imagine the mosfet would be great too. Analogman classic 808 is nice as well.

16. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I have been having great success with a rat an Keeley Red Dirt in blackface voiced amps. Running a 68 CDR, but used a pair or Princetons last year.
    FullDrive is a natural choice but then l the effectiveness of the boost side is questionable.
    I like how the bass cut of the TS and Rat circuits cooperate with the Princeton 10" speaker.

17. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Through my Princeton, I had a number of overdrive pedals alone that I thought complimented it wonderfully.

- Lovepedal Eternity
    - Smallsound/bigsound Mini
    - Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop

Those were my favorite overdrives to date. I think the Function Fx Third Rail looks incredible too and I wish I still had a Princeton to play it through.

18. Felixun1

Felixun1 Member

Thanks everyone. Lots of great suggestions here.

19. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

My silverface Fenders ('71 Deluxe Reverb, '68 Super Reverb) LOVE my Germanium fuzz pedals.

20. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

My 1972 Princeton loves The Dude, Spaceman Aphelion, Klon (as a boost). Doesn't really care for the KOT or that super overpriced one Tomo Fujita uses. I forgot what it's called.