What person is Pat Metheny?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mertas, Dec 24, 2015.

1. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I was in a traveling show band in 1976. We played in Boston that June. I bought the first Jaco album and Bright Size Life on the same day as well as my first Real Book (out of the trunk of a car). It was kind of devastating, in an inspiring way. So many of those Pat tunes were already in the Real Book, which is kinda crazy if you think about it.

russ6100 and Flyin' Brian like this.
  2. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Im a big big fan. Ive read a lot if his posts on his website. I think he takes himself pretty seriously and seems a little high on himself. I supose if youre as good as he is, you can do that.

Ive never met him, and its difficult to detect tone from text, so I may be misinterpreting some of what I read.

I listened to a private lesson he gave that I found on you tube and it was pretty cool.

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yo Clifford ... Why would you assume Frank Gambale has a huge ego ...?

Hung out with him once (a long time ago) in Santa Cruz, CA... for hours ...
    In fact. Probably was one of the nicest, generous, gracious, open-minded, unpretentious of people I've met in this lifetime ...
    Regardless of his 'mega' talent ... the impression, or better yet,
    the influence he left me with was way beyond just being a better guitarist and/or musician..
    It was about being a 'better human being' ...
    I will never forget this man's aura, glow or whatever one would call it ..
    There's a Hindu term for being in the presence of a master ... called a "Dharshan" experince ..
    One where being in the presence of a master hopefully rubs off on you ...

For that matter ... Pat Metheny has said many words in praise of Gambale ..
    As has John McLaughlin ...

Also FWIW ... Jerry Garcia was the person who first personally informed me about Gambale..
    At the time I didn't even know who Gambale was ...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  4. mertas

mertas Member

Thanks! That is what is going on!
    We all are clever :), We all read and think a lot. Therefore we play jazz instead of punk :)
    All the time I am focused on feelings. Our feelings by listening and playing his composition.
    For me is kind of medicine to play his tunes. Strange? Maybe!
    I never met him. I haven't attend his concert personally yet.

I love pure people living theirs life as full set. Not separating music from personal life. All influences everything.
    Ok, I can be impressed of someones playing, but at the same time I can have "strange" feeling about that guy.

How lovely was for me to see Frisell on his concert in Budapest 1 year ago.
    I was listening to his music on CDś , on youtube.
    He seemed to me be very innovative , experimental but deeply introvertal at the same time.
    When I met him, everything was confirmed.
    He looked shy and was staying side to the public , he was laughing during concert on his bandmates, he was deeply sensitive, he said just "Thank you". He was in pulse of music, not doing any show - but concert was great "show" in fact.
    But the overal feeling was "this is all, what is music about" = " to share musician happines to others"
    Than I went back to the hotel, full of emotions, we went to the bar with my wife and I enjoyed repeatedly the concert.
    20 minutes later came Frisell, guitar in bag. I went to him, to express my thanks for WHAT IS HE DOING, AND THE WAY HOW HE IS communicating music. For me is it pure way doing music. (we are in the age of - Heroes, exhibitions, everything is virtual, separated of roots and own feelings. Everything is just game/show for money)
    Some artist can handle it like Frisell.
    And I carry on to think, that the way of musician life was, is and always will be included in theirs music for sensitive listener.
    And this has nothing to do with idols and heroes. Now we search the roots for such deep emotional impact from music like Pat's one.
    Or this one, enjoy!

Northerner likes this.
  5. thewalkingboss

thewalkingboss Silver Supporting Member

Saw him live 30 years ago at the "acoustically perfect" Troy Savings Bank Music Hall. Look it up. Back then as a college music DJ, I used to play a lot of his stuff on WRPI, along with contemporaries Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, and Bela Fleck. "Jazz fusion" was big back then. I've seen Fleck and Clarke a few times live since then, but not Metheny.

6. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Strange thread with some people saying Pat seems high on himself and that he plays smooth jazz. TGP is sometimes an odd place.

He never struck me as anything other than an incredible musician and I have seen him play so many times that I have lost count. He gives everything of himself in his music and that's enough for me.

There is plenty of information on him online as some here have pointed out and you can read a little about him here and there from those who have played with him or knew him in college at Miami like Steve Morse.

As for the original poster, we would all just be guessing based on very limited impressions here. Metheny is a thoughtful guy in my estimation and you can see some of his preferences for film and what books he finds of note on his question and answer section on his site.

Unlike many serious musicians, Pat seems to have a fairly well developed humanist side. Charie Haden would be a famous example of a great musician with a very strong penchant for politics and the world at large outside of music and he was of course a longtime friend and collaborator of Pat.

Scooter, Cactus Bob, russ6100 and 2 others like this.
  7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Member

Pat Metheny and Jimmy Page are my two favorite "Complete" guitar players. This means, vision, playing, song writing, sonics, everything but singing, hard to get it all done.:D

Metheny is what became "Smooth Jazz", for better or worse before him I don't know many having that kind of stuff going on, at least to that degree.

8. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

At U of Miami, Hiram Bullock took lessons from him.
    He was basically in awe of Pat, assessing this from HB interviews

9. Wyzard

Wyzard Supporting Member

This.

Having seen him in concert maybe fifteen times or so over the years, I've met him to properly talk to just once; and he was - without doubt - one of the most intense people I've ever met. Music, and the serious practice required to get you to the place where real conversation between musicians becomes possible, is an essential part of him. There's nothing half-hearted about his musical life whatsoever.

The idea that he falls into some easy-listening jazz sub-category is also far more of a comment on lazy listeners than it is on him.

10. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

My friend was an assistant engineer at the Power Station when he recorded there. He was used to sessions starting late at night with eight balls, ounces of weed and lots of booze. He said Pat started in the morning and sometimes worked 24 hours straight. They had to rotate engineers and assistants to keep up with him.

11. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

I forgot to add that the only drugs used on the sessions was coffee. Also after several days of working on "James" the staff was known to walk around singing, (to the melody of "James") "Here's a song about James Taylor, written by Metheny on the Synclavier".

Isales Gutalter likes this.
  12. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

he's certainly one of the few jazz guitarists who is also a good composer, but it's not the only one (certainly considering other genres): think of Django, all the brazilian guys (from Garoto to Jobim, Toninho Horta etc), Robert Johnson, Leo Brouwer etc.

13. suckamc

suckamc Supporting Member

Jobim was a great great pop writer...fantastic melodies and changes. I love playing his tunes. But Pat is the instrument's transcendent compositional genius, to say nothing of his rhythmic, phrasing, and melodic skills as an improviser.

I think that a thread about Lyle Mays would be even more interesting, as he is so brilliant and yet content to live his life in others' shadows.

Wyzard, Norsegod, Lewguitar and 3 others like this.
  14. jcs

jcs Member

Since Pat grew up in my neighborhood, I've always wondered what radio stations he listened to in the Kansas City area....or what shows... or what albums were in his house as a youngster.

There is a LOT to be said about your earliest influences as a child...things that you are being taught without knowing it.

15. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Interviews book covers a lot of that.

16. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the person Pat Metheny is... is Pat Metheny.

17. MahavishnuGretsch

MahavishnuGretsch Member

I just read that interview today and it's one of my favorites. Never met the guy but would love to since he's my biggest influence (guitar playing and compositionally). There is a guy in one of those threads about bad experiences with stars and he mentions a negative side of Metheny, but i don't remember exactly what it was so i'm not gonna post it here. Anyway, he seems to be a very intense person in the sense that he is nice but if you say the wrong thing he could hit you over the head with his Ibanez lol!

guitarjazz likes this.
  18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Out of interest, what is the subject that's banned?

19. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

I don't share this vision of Metheny as the ultimate guitarist composer at all, but I like some of his tunes. By the way since you've mentioned Mays, who wrote "In her family"? That's definitely my favorite song of their work and I don't know who actually wrote it.

20. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

So I'll ask as one who also knows, do you remember the massive turnout at the free concert at Brush Creek?