What pick are you currently digging? Herco Flex 75 Heavy here. :)

ripgtr

I've tried a bunch of picks over the years, kept going back to Fender Mediums. Switched to Fender Heavy 5 or 6 years ago.
I do keep trying picks, I like the V picks feel, not as crazy about the sound.

Then about a month ago I tried a Fender Tru-Shell and I REALLY like it. About the size of a Heavy but it doesn't seem to slip and I like the way it sounds. Expensive though, but not bluechip expensive. I'd like to try one of those, but 40 bucks a pop ...

vintage66

Dunlop Tortex Tlll blue 1mm. Pointier than standard but otherwise shaped like a regular pick. I’m getting paranoid that they’ll stop making them and I won’t be able to get them anymore so I’m thinking of stocking up.

Lonnie00

I just had these made by a local guy for only $3 each. The white ones are solid resin and the others are a wood/resin mix. 2mm thick, smooth as a baby’s butt and they make almost zero pick noise.

Accoun

Yup, Herco Flex 75. Would like to try Holy Grails, but they aren't as readily available here.
That, or your usual yellow Tortexes. Still trying to figure out if I like the normal or the sharps more.

On the other hand, bought my first little Jazz III out of curiosity and I can't get used to it.

Gforce013

Gold Supporting Member
I really like the red bear old no. 9 in heavy. It has a similar shape to the Dunlop flow. They are expensive for a pick , but one pick last me for a long time. I used to use the v- picks or gravity but the noise the picks made got to me after awhile. Just didn’t like the chirp that they made.

Aslan

Gold Supporting Member
V-pick medium rounded, once I tried one I have never looked back.

dpark39

What are you picking with? I have been bouncing all over - from V Picks, to Dunlops, to Herco and more.

I'm LOVING the Herco Flex 75 Heavy. I think they're right around 1mm or so.

Watcha got? :)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the herco flex 75's. I use them sideways to play with the dimples. Best pick for that kind of chime sound.

jrockbridge

Blue Chip Jazz 50 is my favorite, particularly for acoustic guitar based on sound and feel. But, I do not find the pick to be as critical for electric guitar.

For electric I’ll use the Blue Chip Jazz 50, Dunlop Jazz III or even a Planet Waves Black Ice. But, the Blue Chip is still my favorite.

P.S. The Blue Chip does not seem to wear down at all.

portobear

Been through lots of different Jazz III types over the last few years, my favourite is the white 1.14 mm Tortex version.

I'm currently checking out the Dunlop Flow picks, I bought a sampler pack and have been mostly playing the 1.5mm one.

lns

I’ve gone back to the Jazz III shapes tortex & nylon picks because of the chirp sound produced by the ultra material. It’s especially prevalent with a lot of gain. Kind of a wolf tone that is at odds with the note I play.

this is one of the best picks ever for me

p.j.

Pickboy Edge Carbon Nylon .88. It has a clicky, slightly raspy tone and feel that I have been digging a lot lately. In the past this would be a sound I would try to avoid.

Drew66

I’m digging the Ultex Jazz 3 XL. Ultex is my preferred material for reasons I can’t even explain. It just sounds and feels “right” to me. I used to use standard or sharp .73 but decided to try the J3XL late last year and have loved them ever since! Everything else feels weird.

I once loved the Eric Johnson Jazz 3 years ago, but couldn’t make that tiny pick work for aggressive funk rhythm as well. The slightly larger Ultex Jazz 3 XL fixed everything about that one for how I play!
I know what you mean, ultex just feels right to me. I’ve been playing with a standard ultex pick (1.14) mostly and I use a jazz III xl a lot as well. I’m going to have to track down some jazz III xl in ultex now!

Last edited:

Trending Topics