What PICK do you use?

JonR

Normally dunlop 73, sometimes 88.

Recently, for teaching rock grades 5 and 6 - featuring lead lines much faster than I usually play - I've been using dunlop jazz III, and also adjusting my grip (changing the angle of the pick to the strings). My usual picks are too bendy to play at the right speed with enough clarity and precision.

The only reason I use something as thin as 73 otherwise is that in my usual band I'm doing a lot of strumming too, and the rigid picks are too clumsy. None of our music requires the kind of fast lines I have to play for the rock grades.

AxemanVR

I appreciate therefore I am...
Silver Supporting Member

I use the thinnest Fender “351” picks I can find (the thickness varies and most are not as thin as I need them to be).

DF879255-DE5D-4124-915B-DDC823152D80.jpeg

These provide the “zingy attack” that really floats my boat.

As one might expect, boosting the amp’s bass is often required.

I adjust my playing dynamics and control to suit whatever technique I’m going for, so having a super light touch is certainly a must in some situations.

Anyway, I will “fine tune” each guitar by matching them up with a pick that responds the best with their particular character - since even in a pack of a dozen supposedly identical picks there are subtle differences in how the upper frequencies are affected.

So, if you think your guitar is lacking a little something, before replacing your pickups try using different picks. You might be amazed at the results!

Of course the downsides of using the thinnest picks is that they fall apart easier and I am constantly on the look out for the thinnest of the thin, which is often as elusive as finding a mythical unicorn…

Last edited:

webby1

Dunlop Jazz III, EJ. Made all my techn studies for speed & agility come alive. As @JonR said though, strumming (which I don't do much of) can be clumsy. But the next development, realizing what changing pick grips to match demand opens another door. Can't say enough about them.

Last edited:

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I used to use green Tortex .88’s.

A few years ago I switched to Clayton Acetal Rounded Triangle .80’s and they feel better, sound more lively (Tortex is dull sounding), they stay flat (no Tortex curl) and they wear better …plus you get three picking sides so it’s like three picks for the price of one.

They’re available at all the usual places.

Periodically I pull out a Tortex pick and play for a short while and the difference is immediately obvious.

-bEn r.

.047uF

I’ve tried every pick under the sun and continue coming back to Fender Mediums which are .73’s. They are a tad soft when you want to dig in, but when strumming they ring the G,B & high E strings just beautifully for my taste. No other pick I’ve found does that.

Closest I’ve found that are slightly stiffer and still ring nicely are Ultex .73 sharps. But nothing satisfies my craving for higher frequencies like the 351 Fender Mediums.

I wish Fender would bring back the medium-heavy celluloids. For me that would be perfection.

Last edited:

Dickie Fredericks

Silver Supporting Member
Until a few years ago it was Dunlop Tortex from yellow to purple.
I purchased a pack of Swiss Picks to try out and I love them. They came out with a 351 shape that is in between the small size and a 351 which I enjoy.

I use the .90 slabs mostly but also have some thicker slabs too.

Dunlop Totex .73. The yellow one.

I use a variety. But this is my standard.
I usually prefer a rounded tip over a pointed tip for tone.
The yellow Tortex has the right amount of give where I can switch between single notes and funk rhythm and get the feel I want.
I find the green and blue better for single notes and down stroke rhythm tone.
The orange or red can be better for strumming.
Tone being a big factor I just like the sound of Tortex. But have been using nylon again recently for some things.

fyler

my pick choice has gotten almost ludicrously thick in recent years. i now use the Dunlop Flow Jumbo 4.2mm picks. thin (and even more standard 'thick' picks) feel totally wrong in my hand now.

Stig Ø

Green tortex .88 or gator grip. Gator grip is thicker - closer to 1mm, can’t remember exactly - but it has the same stiffness as the tortex. For acoustic steel string I use a medium Dunlop faux tortoise shell

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Had a YOLO moment during COVID. Realized that hadn't been spending anything on dining, movies, live music...probably only spend that went up was for bottles of wine, so I splurged on trying out the Blue Chips.

Great on acoustics, like them on electrics. Had been using V Picks and then some heavy Dunlop Prime Tones. The Blue Chips do not add a percussive strike noise like the V Picks can and they stay in firmly in your hand and giving you complete control. Seem to add a kind of tonal sweetness, bright without harshness when you dig in on big flattop or acoustic archtop (my new favorites below because TPGers like photos). Only downside is if you lose one...makes you nuts, well me at least.

D0EzcL1.jpg

Buddy tried the Red Bear picks, another bougie make, seem stiffer and more percussive than the Blue Chip of same gauge. Closer to the Dunlops.

77V7f9D.jpg

Circa 1934 and 2007 16" of tone.

Baelzebeard

My top three these days are the Dunlop Tortex flow (green), Stringjoy jumbo jazz (green). These two are very similar.
And the Pickboy meta carbonate pos-a-grip 1mm.

I like the tip pointed a little like a jazz, but can't use the small size. I also don't like them too grippy, and prefer them smooth, or with holes. I just don't care for raised texture. I found that I adjust my grip frequently, and extra grip keeps me too locked in.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom