What pickup for a Gibson J45

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Gibson 1964, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

I have an old J45. I would like to install a pickup in it, preferably internally. What are the recommended choices?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

what does the bridge look like? the variations of adjustable or even plastic bolt-on bridges on these through the years limit the options.

3. snacker

snacker Member

i have a fishman dual source in mine and it sounds killer!

4. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

rosewood bridge with a rosewood saddle I believe

5. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I'd go with a Fishman as first choice.

Second choice would be the LR Baggs I-Beam, but you'll have difficulty fitting a strap on the guitar with anything from LR Baggs. I don't know why they make the end fitting like they do. It's stupid.

6. Stubee

Stubee Member

The type of saddle it has doesn't matter at all. You don't need to use an undersaddle pickup as there are plenty of other options and having had a few undersaddle pickups, I like the 'other options'.

In my '52 J-45 I have a "Pickup the World" pup that mounts anywhere you want to place it on the underside of the soundboard (the top). When I had this one installed I experimented with placement until I liked the tone. On my 2003 AJRI I have a K&K Mini Western which mounts on your bridge plate. I have far more experience with the Pickup the World pup as it's been in that guitar for many years, but they both sound great. I used a Baggs Paracoustic DI into a PA with both. They are also fine with acoustic amps.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

??

fishman and just about every other brand out there use the same-sized output jack/strap button combo.

8. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Right. Fishman, yes. LR Baggs, no.