What pickups are in here?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by piloto117, Feb 17, 2012.

1. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Just wondering, I own a LP custom circa 1984. I bought the guitar off ebay some years ago, excellent guitar. I understand that everything on that guitar is original, but have always wanted to know what kind of pickups are in this axe. I measured the DC resistance and it reads 10 and 14 give or take for neck and bridge respectively. They're very loud, yes indeed. They have no kind of markings/stickers on the bottom and still have the gold covers on them. Any ideas?​

2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

That guitar should have come with "Shaw" PAFs as far as I can tell. 10 and 14K is way too high. Either the pups aren't original or they are something else like "Super Humbuckers" or "Series VII" humbuckers.

3. piloto117

piloto117 Member

I'll check again later, but I'm certain its 14k on the bridge. "Shaw" PAF's?

4. piloto117

piloto117 Member

OK, I just checked. Neck reads 7.1k and the bridge is 13.2k. I'll try to produce some pictures this weekend.

5. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Well, I did some more research and found out that they're Gibson "The Original" HB-R & HB-L 1988 Humbucker Set.

6. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

OOooohh, sorry.

...and here's your mail-order bride!
    [​IMG]

7. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Lol. Well, to be honest I don't like them very much. They're good for distortion, metal type and such, but that's about it. Clean tones are pretty crappy. The funny thing is that they I've never wanted to replace them because I thought that was the way it was supossed to sound, so now I'm looking into maybe some 57's from Gibson or something alike.
    Thanks anyway!