1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What pickups are you using for your 335 type guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FiestaRed, Feb 10, 2019.

1. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Yep!

I don’t make them exclusive because I don’t want to deal with selling them. Just ask Wolfe and he will do them for you!

FiestaRed, VooDooClown and big mike like this.
  2. big mike

big mike Consigliere Staff Member

Really depends on the guitar and the rig, but I also like the Seth's. Never tried them in a 335 though.
    I have a reasonable amount of time on Doug Kauer's personal Super chief (335ish) and the KB wind Wolfes really sound incredible in it.
    I'm a fan of those in general, and have them in my Thorn

3. big mike

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Wolfe and Wagner...but man Pickup jockey's are a special breed of guys.. LOL
    I think it's pretty hard to focus on both. You wanna build? Or you wanna wind, both is a mother of a nightmare.

FiestaRed likes this.
  4. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Nope. I love the Ants, but felt the Seth were a mess.

FiestaRed likes this.
  5. mikebat

mikebat Member

I am using the stock P90's in my Reverend Club King which is in the ballpark of an ES, the biggest difference (to me) is scale length, it is 25.5"

6. Dynation

Dynation Member

I like PAF types in a semi. Neck pickup in particular has to be pretty clear. I mostly rock the stock pickups in mine though.

7. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

Since Seth Lovers are great pickups, I suspect the guitar being the reason. Gibson, have not only made a few fantastic instruments, but produced zillions of uninspiring guitars. That's not meant as Gibson bashing, its true.
    I don't know your guitars, but in my Eastman semiacoustic the SLs sound great and definitely inspiring (the band tells me all the time to use that guitar).

8. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I have a 2016 '63 RI 335 with the MHS pickups in it and it sounds fine with those. I was surprised, as other 3X5's I've had didn't sound as I wanted with the stock pickups in it.

time2kill likes this.
  9. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

Not a 335 per se but my Sheraton sounds amazing with 57 Classics (not the plus model). Although I imagine the maple neck contributes a bit to that as well. Yeah it’s a poly finished guitar too but it sounds awesome.

10. big mike

probably the A2 in the Seth not doing it for you

amstrtatnut likes this.
  11. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I can't for the life of me remember... but I know they are Duncans.

12. gnappi

gnappi Member

Maybe a better Q should cover all of the full size Gibson semi hollow models? I have 490's in my 333, patent numbers in my Lucille, 57's in one 335, and BB's in another and 57's in the 345.

I have yet to buy a git that doesn't sound right so I don't have to change pups. It saves a lot of time, money, and disappointment :)

time2kill and jazzguitarfan like this.
  13. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Member

2018 ES-335 with stock MHS pups in mine. Vintage PAF tones. They sound great.

time2kill likes this.
  14. stilwel

stilwel Member

'57 Classic in neck and '57 Classic Plus in the bridge. Perfect combo for a semi-hollow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    time2kill likes this.
  15. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I have an H535. I have tried Seth's in it twice. Just didn't like them. I tried all sorts of stuff adjusting them, kept reading how people loved them, so tried them again and just didn't like them.

I played an I35 that had thorbaks in it, wow. Just wow. I don't know know much was the guitar and how much was the pickups. At around 5 or 6 grand, I didn't get it.

Yea, Monty's did it for me. I had OX4s for a while, great pickup but a little dark I thought. The Monty's I have are snappier. I played with a guy in the 70s that had PAFs on a tele, it was fat but still had a lot of snap. That was what I was looking for and the Monty's do that for me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    joebloggs13 and FiestaRed like this.
  16. big mike

I don’t expect the factory to understand my touch or rig needs so I have no issue with a pickup swap to adjust to my needs.
    Doesn’t mean the guitar is bad.

JLee, Jason_77 and FiestaRed like this.
  17. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Sigil blues master or I think. Just a great lower output paf.

18. one4five

one4five Member

Stewmac Golden Age PAFs. I'm not sure, but I think these are based on Gibson 59s? Whatever they are, they are seriously great pickups: clear as a BELL, not a hint of mud, articulate, full and PAFfy -- very impressed. I have Seth Lovers in a Epi Sheraton II which also sound fantastic, but I honestly think I like the Stewmacs better. Maybe I just like A5 over A2? :dunno I also just picked up an Epi 335 and I think I'm going to put P90s in that one, probably Toneriders.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    amstrtatnut likes this.
  19. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Not to be a Seth contrarian, but I'll tell you about this set of Peter Florence '59's in my 335 since the mid '90's. Peter Florence was recommended to me by a fairly in demand NYC session guitarist who use's a lot of his vintage guitars for studio sessions. Peter Florence does a lot of vintage restoration work as well as normal repair. Mr. Florence knows what makes a vintage guitar sound as it should. He was right. The are lightly waxed and have the raw nickel covers that have aged very nicely and organically. Articulate, percussive, just great sounding pickups. There are a lot of low-wind/low-output PAF voiced pickup makers out there - that seems to be the fundamental build style you're looking for. Good Hunting.
    [​IMG]

20. s2y

s2y Member

Lollartrons. I dig 'em.