1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What pickups are you using for your 335 type guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FiestaRed, Feb 10, 2019.

1. mikefair

mikefair Member

I can't imagine pickups sounding better than the ones that came stock in my 1990 dot neck. I don't think they were making '57s yet. I'm afraid to look. They might be those circuit board pickups that everybody hates. Then I would have to hate them too.

time2kill likes this.
  2. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

I am not sure what kind of pickups they put in the Epiphone Elite models. But to my ears they are some of the nicest sounding pickups for a semi-hollow.

time2kill likes this.
  3. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Fralin Pure PAFs in my 335 build , bridge pup overwound 5%. Sounds like wonderful to me.

4. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...I have Manlius Fat Diane's in my Epi 335 Pro....along with a premium wiring harness...they sound great for my tastes...and for the record I like Seth Lovers and have used them in the past....in a SG...full on the Fat Dianes's are pretty ballsy but they sound mellow and jazzy when you back off on the volume and and tone controls a bit.....

one4five likes this.
  5. LBXPDX

LBXPDX Member

I have Seth Lovers in my Eastman T185mx. To be honest, it took a fair amount of adjusting to get what I wanted from them. I had to fiddle with the action and stop tail piece to get the extra oomph I was looking for. Everybody wants to lower the stop tail all the way down, but it can really choke some good vibrations.

My Aria 5502 ca.1972 has a stock Maxon in the neck and a Tim Shaw in the bridge. The Shaw sounds soooo good.

My new to me Conn C Series semi hollow came stock with Goto PAF’s. Interesting pickups as they are 7.6k with ceramic magnets. The sounded quite nice, but I wanted to try some other pickups I had lying around. I just installed some Duncan 59’s with UOA5 magnets.

Lastly my 1983 Yamaha SA800 has stock pickups.

one4five likes this.
  6. dwk302

dwk302 Member

Throbak Pre-T works incredibly well in my '63 RI.

JLee likes this.
  7. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Alnico 2 or Alnico 5?

8. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I think it would depend very much on the individual guitar. I had a '82 Westone Rainbow I that was very dark sounding. Even SD Jazz didn't really do the trick, and I tried series/single/parallel switching to brighten it up, but I eventually sold it. Good Gretsch-style pickups might have worked.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. stevieboy

stevieboy Cultural Appropriator Gold Supporting Member

My 335 came with 57 Classics, which I had and liked for several years. Then GAS reared it’s ugly head and I got a 345 to go with it. It has MHS pickups.

I could get so close to the 335 with the 345 with the Varitone on 1 that I felt free to do something I’ve always wanted to do, put Harmonic Design Z90s in the 335. Match made in guitar heaven.

I got it all now!

10. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

I had SLs in my Heritage 535 and thought they were killer. I’ve got Lollards Imperials in my 339 and can’t imagine ever changing them.

one4five likes this.
  11. BWOTW

BWOTW Member

In my case, the DiMarzio 36th Anns. (with 500k pots) worked awesome in a 333.

12. losrogers

losrogers Member

I'd love to own a true 335 someday, but for now I'm playing a Hamer Echotone 335 style loaded with TV Jones Classic/Classic plus.
    I also changed pots and wiring. Gives the tones I was hoping for: bright, articulate, some crunchy growl, and they blend together nicely.
    And yes! to SD Antiquities in a Les Paul :)

one4five likes this.
  13. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Seth Lovers dude. They sound great in a 335. Given you start with a great 335...

one4five likes this.
  14. reverendfrankie

reverendfrankie Supporting Member

I second this opinion. I replaced the stock Fender Pups in my 2000 Westerly Starfire IV and really like them. Growl in the Bridge, sweet and articulate in both positions when rolled back.

15. John O

John O Member

I have a 2001 Epi Dot 335 (Korean build) which is a wonderful guitar, Duncan '59 at the neck and Duncan JB at the bridge. Both are big improvements over the stock epi p'ups of the day. The JB is a little hot for some applications (and just right for others!), but I just roll off a little vol and tone when it needs to be tamed, and I keep them relatively low in the p'up rings. Nice tones from these!

[​IMG]

one4five and Mincer like this.
  16. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I’ll agree with that... cranking it all the way down is great on a solid body, but a semi or full hollow need it breathe a bit more to get the proper resonance

17. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Since no one has asked, do you have 500k pots all around in that guitar?. It can make a difference if it has 300k volume pots like Gibson has put in many guitars.
    Al

FiestaRed likes this.
  18. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I replaced all the electronics with CTS 500K pots, PIO caps and the Seth Lovers.

Mincer likes this.
  19. Bogner

Bogner Member

BKP Stormy Mondays
    Suhr Tornbuckers
    Lollar Imperials

one4five likes this.
  20. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

These are great pickups. Had a set in a Burny RSA100. In the same guitar, I also had Wolfetone Dr. Vintage. Bridge was too tame. Also had Wizz. Guitar was naturally bright, so the Wizz were like cheese graters to the ears. The Pre-Ts were a really nice fit. Really balanced the tone of the guitar.

My ‘63 RI has MHS with A2 neck and A5 bridge. Awesome combo!

My ‘81 Tokai has stock don’t know what they are pickups. They sound great though. Sound like A2s. I may swap the bridge for A5, for a little bit more umph.

ReWind Electric Low Winds are amazing. Had those in a SG with A5 in the bridge. One of the best pickups I’ve ever owned.

OX4 Standard Winds with A5 are pretty amazing too! Though I’ve never tried them in a semi. Only a Paul.