What pickups are you using in 335 for Rock?

Caribou

Silver Supporting Member
WCR American Steele. The 57s were not warm enough for me on the bridge and were not defined enough on the neck. The American Steele set just seems to work well in my 335.
I've got the American Steele set as well-- they're awesome. Jim at WCR is incredibly helpful too.

samdjr74

I have a 535 loaded with HRW's and they kick some serious tail. It's a shame Heritage no longer makes them.

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Supporting Member
I thought new 335's came with 500k pots... thats strange
The old Memphis production models from the 90s/early 00s were spec'd for 500K, but the tolerances were all over the place. As I said, a couple of mine were below 400K.

All that said, I also had an '82 blonde with stock Shaws, and those were better pickups.

If you're serious about a swap, I've had good luck with Duncan Antiquity/Seth Lover (very close, the main difference is that the A's have slightly degaussed magnets) pickups. But again, they're only as good as the harness you mate them with.

jfwund

Supporting Member
I have the WCR American Steele set in my ES-333. Love how fat and articulate they are, they warm up a naturally bright guitar quite nicely. The last few sets of pickups I had in there couldn't tame the brightness of the guitar and were underpowered/too quiet/not enough output. No such problems with the WCRs.

speedemon

I like the 57s well enough, I got em on the cheap, but I am itching to try the WCRs! I am being loaned a Holy Grail 335, (63' in Cherry w/ the patent no.s)and my Lollar hi wind in my Explorer sounds really close.

marcuslom

I have only heard good things about 57 classics in ES-335's. I had them in my SG for awhile, but swapped them out for Seymour JB and Jazzy's. I thought they sounded good, but I wanted more output. I loved the neck 57! If you are looking for a high output PAF get the 57+.

Absolutely amazing! Proof of the time-honored refrain, De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum.

The SD JB is to my ears absolutely the worst sounding pickup I've ever heard, and I've been at it for decades. Every JB I've heard has been consistent sonic death to me.

The 57 Classic, on the hand, is the one of the best, if not the best of what Gibson has to offer in humbuckers today, to my ears. Tom Holmes told me he was involved in its design.

TJNies

I have no complaints about tone, squealing, or anything else on the 57s on my 335.

My only other experience was the SD JB / Jazz set in my former Epi Dot. Didn't dislike these either, but prefer the 57s.

jeffmo

+1 on the Fralin Pure PAFs. I replaced the classics in my 335 with these and find them much sweeter than the stock pups. Maybe not so much for hard rock, but for blues rock they are great.

rummy

+1 on the Fralin Pure PAFs. I replaced the classics in my 335 with these and find them much sweeter than the stock pups. Maybe not so much for hard rock, but for blues rock they are great.
I have the Fralin Pure PAFs in my Les Paul, too, and they're fine for hard rock! :aok

still.ill

Does anybody have experience the Seymour Duncan 59 with these guitars?

i find the 57 classic sounds great in the bridge, but the 59 with its a5 sounds better in the neck

Last edited:

Trending Topics