what pickups do wolfgangs and EBMM axis use?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paulscape, Feb 18, 2008.

1. paulscape

paulscape Member

I thought they were Dimarzio but what type or what pickup are they close to?

What are good replacement pickups for these guitars?

Thanks

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I have both of these guitars and the EBMM guitar has custom Dimarzios on it. They were the same pickups that were on the EBMM EVH series guitars, EVH worked hard with EBMM on the design of these pickups but didnt he didnt patent them. Thats why they are still in the EBMM Axis series guitars.

The peavey wolgang has custom Peavey pickups that EVH worked on with Peavey.

They are both great.

3. Londoncalling

Londoncalling Member

In addition to the above info Seymour Duncan makes an apparently good EVH pickup (I say apparently because I have never heard it) called The Seymour Duncan Custom EVH (I have heard it referred to as "custom custom") as well.

The music man (Dimarzio) and Peavey pickups are both very nice.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I like those pickups too. Very bright and clear. The Peavey is much hotter than the others. The Duncan EVH is voiced similar, but a lot less hot.

5. rrhea

rrhea Member

Yes, the Peavey's are unreal. I recently picked up a Peavey Wolfgang and it is by far my most "metal" guitar. :) Those pickups have some serious balls!

RR

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I believe the EBMM Forum said the bridge was closest to a Dimarzio tone zone. Can't remember what the neck is.

I enjoyed the Wolfgang's i had, as well as the EBMM.

7. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

Had an Axis Super Sport with Piezo. Loved it, and wish I could buy it back.

In fact, I sold it to a TGP member....whoever has it, I'll pay you $100 more than you paid me for it, plus shipping.

With that out of the way, the pickups are an Air Norton neck and a Tone Zone bridge.

8. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

The Duncan Custom Custom and the EVH are not the same pickup. The Custom Custom is a cross between a Custom and a Custom 5 and is a hotter pickup than the EVH. The EVH is what comes in the Charvel Art Series EVH guitars and is available as a custom order pickup from the Duncan custom shop if I recall correctly. BTW, Duncan claims EVH stands for Evenly Voiced Harmonics :)

9. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Yeah, and JB stands for "Jazz/Blues" :roll

-Austin

10. paulscape

paulscape Member

Out of interest what was the difference between the EVH EBMM and the Axis? Or is the Axis like the Peavey HP - a continuation under a different banner? Are the pickups in a peavey HP the same as the woflgang?

I have a SD custom custom pup in a home made 5150/frankie guitar and I do like that pickup a lot. I think the SD EVH is now called the '78? Quite expensive as a custom order. Ive been wanting to try a tone zone for a while but Dimarzio doesn't let suppliers deal their pickups overseas for some reason and I live outside the states :(

11. paulscape

paulscape Member

I have no idea why I haven't picked up a wolfgang yet. I bought a washburn N4 last year and Im not even an extreme fan. I shoulda bought a wolfie. I'll look into the new fender wolfgang's but Im not too keen on that new headstock.

12. thrill74

thrill74 Member

From Dimarzio's site:

"What type of pickups were used in the Eddie Van Halen MusicMan Guitar?"

These pickups were only available as original equipment on the EVH MusicMan guitar. MusicMan replaced the Van Halen guitar with a very similar model called the Axis, which uses the same pickups. The closest-sounding pickups we offer are the Air Norton™ for the neck position and the Tone Zone® for the bridge position.

13. el greco

el greco Member

Are the pickups in a Peavey HP the same as the Wolfgang ?
    The HP Special's pickups are very close to the Wolfgang pickups, the HP pickups are just a little lower output and are voiced to sound much more full and cleaner when they're coil-tapped.

14. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

The pickups are voiced totally differently because EVH used to get sick of having to adjust his tone controls when switching from bridge to neck.
    I wrote off my Musicman and made a clone of the surviving parts, it took ages to get the pickups right.

15. Londoncalling

Londoncalling Member

Cool thanks for the info! I love Evenly Voiced Harmonics.

16. thrill74

thrill74 Member

The lore of the Custom Custom was that it was a pickup that Seymour and Eddie developed pre EBMM, or in the beginning, and that even though Eddie liked it he went elsewhere. So it just went into the line.

17. paulscape

paulscape Member

haha I love it!

The custom custom replicates eddie's early tone well... not as hot as the newer dimarzio's but great woody pick attack and tone.

18. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Member

The guy I talked to at DiMarzio (ten years ago) told me that the Tone Zone and Air Norton WERE THE SAME pick-ups that came in the EVH/Axis.

19. thrill74

thrill74 Member

Oh don't doubt it at all ;) But what marketing advantage would it be it you could get those pups without buying the guitar ;)

20. cds2051

cds2051 Member

I have two 78 model pickups - are these EVH? HAS ANYBODY HEARD THEM???

I have not used them yet - am wondering if what is thought of them?