what pickups do you have in your PRS CUSTOM 22?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TREV FLINT, Aug 23, 2008.

1. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

So, what pickups do you have in your Prs Custom 22? Did you keep the Dragon II's or replace them. Why?

2. THebert

THebert Member

I have the Dragon IIs, and I am keeping them becasue I like them. To me, they are a nice balance between a softer vintage tone but still having enough umph to have some modern characteristics. I find them to be real good 'middle of the road' pickups. My cu22 sounds so good just the way it is, that I don't want to change anything.

3. blong

blong Member

McCarty's, which are original to the guitar. I love 'em in the CU22. Dragon II's are great, also.

Bob

4. Dag

Dag Member

also much love for Dragon II's. Can be sweet can be agressive, can do Van Halen and woman tone.
    In other CU22 I have 498t, 490r by Gibson. Just other kind of beast.

5. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    When I owned a Cu22, it had the original Dragon pickups loaded in it. I typically don't like PRS's pickups, but those p'ups stayed in that guitar. I got a lot of mileage out of them doing classic rock, blues, and more modern stuff.

6. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Dragon IIs in mine. Love them! No complaints, they're great pickups.

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I dig the DIIs in my STD22,
    But,
    I currently have a Duncan C5/AIIP combo in my CU22.
    It works for now but I do want to try something else but not sure what to go with. I'm thinking possible some WB Fire Waters or possibly something else.

8. Joses

Joses Member

The stock Dragon II's for me too :AOK

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I really dislike the Dragon II's. Fine if all you want to do it play with high gain, but if you want detail for clean or dirty work, I find them flat.

I changed mine out to Lollar Imperials. It made a HUGE difference. The actual acoustic sound of the guitar can now be heard. I accidentally left the original Dragon II's in my car in the clear Lollar package in the summer. So much wax ran out of those pickups in the heat and then dried, the plastic box can no longer be opened. It is glued shut, with wax everywhere, and you would have to see it to believe it--it does not seem possible they could even have that much wax in them. Obvioulsy, these guys were made specifically for high gain (have you ever heard Paul Reed Smith play anything clean?) Dragon II's may sound better if they were lightly potted, but these pickups give a new meaning to heavily potted, hence their flat sound and lack of detail.

Do yourself a favor---get some Lollars.

10. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

"Fine if all you want to do it play with high gain, but if you want detail for clean or dirty work, I find them flat."

That's how I feel about the Dragon II's as well. I am not happy with my clean to dirty sound with those pickups. I am thinking of trying a set of Wolfetone Marshallheads. They are a hot PAF style pickup that I hope will morph with my Cu22 just right.

11. hanleyk

hanleyk Member

What's the Ohm rating on the dragons?

I just got a '96 custom22 w/ stock pups and haven't checked them yet.

'96 custom 22
    black cherry
    10 top
    bird inlays
    gold hardware

i'm broke but happy.