1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What pickups do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MusicGearGuys, Aug 27, 2005.

What pickup do you prefer?

1. Seymour Duncan

2. DiMarzio

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Are you a Duncan or DiMarzio player?

Gregory

2. Antero

Antero Member

3. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

I know that there are allot of Boutique guys here that prefer other pickups.

Duncan and DiMarzio have always been in battle with eachother so to speak, so what line do you prefer.

I'm trying to compare apples to apples here.

4. glynn

glynn Member

Err, they both have pickups that sound like ass, and pickups that sound like Catherine Zeta-Jones' ass :D .

I like the 'Air' stuff and the 'VV' stuff from dimarzio, the 'custom/CC/C5' JB and the mini bucker line, pretty much all the alnico 2 stuff, from SD.

At gunpoint, I would pick the SD line.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Up to now, it's been Duncan. I've been very pleased with the Custom 5 in my Les Paul. But lately, I've got the WCR jones. I got the SRs in my Strat, and that tone makes me want more...

6. HHB

HHB Member

time was I had 100% Duncan , as of the last few years I've really started to dig DiMarzio, theyre not just for metal, I just put a set of the VPAF's in my LP today, gig report to follow but they sounded great testeing at low volume

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Although I prefer the boutique stuff when it comes to pups, you can't beat the classic combination of a super distortion and a PAF.:dude

I've used the Seymour '59 with good results too...

8. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

Duncan 59's seem just fine for me. I have a couple of guitars that have Rio grandes and thoose are very cool pickups but lately I've been happy with the stock OEM Duncan that came on my guitars.

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

DiMarzio - their customer support is outstanding, they will exchange pickups, they offer a huge range of products...

10. Gadowguitars

Gadowguitars Member

If it can't be a Fralin then i'll go with a Duncan JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.

11. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I've always prefered Duncans, but the old PAF's that Dimarzio made in the 70's are pretty cool. However Jim Wagner has ruined both brands for me. They just seem to be missing something after playing WCRs.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Neither, but Duncan over Dimarzio everytime.

13. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

14. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

What is the pickup flavor of the month this month? WCR?

I got caught up with this a few years ago hanging out on the Les Paul Forum. I always end up coming back to Antiquities and Seths. :)

Anyone remember the Peter Florence Voodoo 59 pups? Are Timbuckers still being produced?

I think the poll is valid in that the two D's seem to be permanent fixtures.

15. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

16. King Ceramic

King Ceramic Guest

Flavor of the month? How about flavor of the past coupla years?:p I don't, nor ever really did like the 2 Ds, but was pretty much forced to use them as that was all there really was available and easily obtained. Things are different these days. Much more choice.WCR is it for me.:dude :dude

17. shadco

shadco Member

Niether

OC DUffs

18. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Well put glynn!! I'd take a set of the Zeta-Jones Air buckers over the M. Douglas Antiquites!

Back in the day, Dimarzio and Duncan were about the only ones to provide aftermarket pickups. I worked in a music store back then and remember well when both came on the scene. Just wish I had the foresight to buy up all the "stock" pickups I swapped out for people!

I've used both over the years and some suck, some suck less and some sound pretty darn good. It all depends on your needs. A jazzer with a nice ES-175 would probably not care for an Invader or XN2.

I swore of Dimarzios for years. But recent events have led to various Dimarzio pickups coming my way. I must say, I'm impressed with what I hear.

While I prefer pickups wound to my specs, ( and I don't mean to sound like some high faluten snob...I just found a formula that works pretty well for me ) I am very happy tone wise with several models of Duncans and Dimarzios pickups.

19. blackburncustom

blackburncustom Member

Hi,
    Neither. I prefer WCR, Chubtone, Harmonic Design and Van Zandt.
    peace,
    Dave

20. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

Again, I'm not too big on either. But if they were the only two makers, I suppose I'd be a Duncan guy.