What pickups for a KWS type strat sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by loveanddag, Nov 4, 2005.

1. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

as the title says, what type of strat pickups should i get for a KWS type sound? i really want that huge, powerful, srv, kws type tone. im not really looking to cop their tone but i just dont want a vintage, classic kinda sound. i want some strat pickups that sound huge and powerful. i have somewhat limited knowledge so far and i was thinking about fender texas specials or rio grandes. any better ideas?

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I love my Rio Grande Muy Grandes

My Strat sounds huge now and still sounds like a Strat. It does the ass kickin Texas thing very well.

3. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Huge and powerful:

Fralin Steel Pole
    SK Guitar S-90
    Duncan Quarter Pounder

Definitely not a vintage Strat tone.

4. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

thanks. how do the texas specials sound to the well-versed ears of board members here?

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Flat, dull, lifeless and midrangey. The amp and od pedal is a much bigger part of that sound than pickups.

6. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Texas Specials are hit or miss. I've heard great ones and then others that were ******. Rio Grande's are cool and I have also heard some great sounds from Duncan Antiquity strat pickups.

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I like Fralin Blues Specials with a Steel Pole 43 at the bridge.

8. Tone

Tone Member

Hi.
    Do you happen to know what amp and OD pedal he's currently using for that texas tone? I remember seeing Twin Reverbs, Vibroverb and Fuchs somewhere.

9. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

Those 3 are the only amps ive ever heard of him using. I know he used EV speakers in his twin reverbs tho. Im fairly certain he has/had tubescreamers for his od. he had an original 808 and an analogman ts-9.

10. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

he also uses some line 6 stuff. the four button boxes. i saw a picture of his rig with the delay modeler (green one) and the distorion modeler (yellow one).

11. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I just saw him between Joe Bonamassa and BB King. I was surprised to see four Marshall heads atop to 4X1? cabinets. No Fenders anywhere.

BTW-He couldn't hold Bonamassa's guitar.

12. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Depending on what era you are going for with him, he also liked to use a Klon and an 808 together, i was just reading an old guitar world interview with him. Plus you have to recognize thick strings, and he was using a vibroverb as well as the king and a twin, and tuning down a half step may account for something as well.

13. Filter428

Filter428 Member

You sure that wasn't Bonamassa's rig?

14. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

Positive. Bonamassa had Budda's and Marshall Jubilee's (silver). KWS has the standard black and gold Marshall's.

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

+1

I have never heard hot pickups that sound good to me in the neck and middle slots. I feel that low output vintage style SC's sound best by far and if you want a powerful sound you can get it with thick strings (at LEAST 10's - 11's would be better), good OD/boost pedals and a screaming amp. I think the bridge position is the one place where hotter pickups shine because the added mids and reduced treble beef up this typically thin and weak sounding tone. Personally I like hot noiseless pickups here because I think their voicing works perfectly for the bridge and the lack of hum is a bonus.

16. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Definitely heavier strings. At least 11's. A strong strat sound starts there. Kenny's rig is somewhere on the Analogman site. He may have been playing Marshalls live somewhere, I don't doubt that, but his sound started out coming from a Vibroverb and a Twin with TS-9's and Ts-808's. Everybody's rig develops. He's one of those guys whos tone is in his style, though. He'll pretty much sound the same no matter what he's using.

17. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

Hmmm. im already using a strat with .11s. im using a barber silver ltd and ts-9 for my gain stuff. i have the silver ltd set for noticeable gain and the ts-9 for a bit more gain. its kinda turning out that the ltd is my rhythm pedal and the ts is my lead pedal. anyways, i have a hot rod deville 410. and i live in texas so i drink the water (hoping thatll help in the future). since amps are expensive i was hoping i could find some pickups that would help me get a hotter sound. i know ill need to get a more decent amp soon tho.

anyways, fr8_trane, any suggestions for pickups? i bought my strat used so im fairly sure it just has stock american strat p/ups in it except the bridge has a duncan jb jr. comments?

18. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

KWS uses stock early 60`s Strats, so I guess its logical to assume that is what you`d need, if you can afford it, but barring that, AM RI pickups are awful close, and I hear the Custom Shop 60`s are also as close to origional as spittin`. Makes sense, no??

CT.

19. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

makes sense to me. i guess i should be worrying more about pickups with more tone rather than more heat.

20. Tone

Tone Member

Hi.
    Sorry to jump in on your thread again. :)

Did KWS use the Twin only for cleans and the Vibroverb with OD pedals for dirty, or did he OD the Twin with the pedals early in his career also?

Anyone know what gear was used to record Born With A Broken Heart?

Thanks!:dude