what pickups for PRS hollow?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue Bee, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

i have a hollow spruce w/ '57 classics (no covers), 500k pots. kinda want to upgrade pickups. wanna see what you guys suggest and are using. im considering a gfs mean 90 for bridge and another paf type for neck

the tones im looking for (wide range)- wes montgomery, derek trucks, ry cooder, daniel lanois, bill frisell, bb king, trey a., and more fusiony guys like david grissom, mike stern, scofield, jimmy herring, carlton.

also, can i add a capacitor to the vol pot to have a little more high end when i roll back the vol? if so which one.

2. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Funny, I was just about to post about the same thing. The stock pups are fine, just lacking some character. I tried some WCR Goodwoods; too dense. Currently running some Dimarzio Eric Johnsons, the ones that make it sound somewhat like a Gretsch. Great for rhythm, not so great for lead. I play blues, classic rock and country, so versatility is very important. The guitar acoustically is quite bright, and my tone is all about smooth,clear and detailed, and want something that's going to bring out the sound of the wood more. My current thinking is a set of Fralin P92s for a noiseless P90 sort of vibe, but wondered if any of you fine folks had had some luck with different pickups. -Eric

3. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

4. whitewave

whitewave Member

I'never played a PRS semihollow, but I've WCR Goodwoods in my PRS solid body and I've had Lollar Imperials in the same guitar.
    I love the WCR, they're a keeper in that guitar, but for a semihollow I can't think to anything better than the silky, trasparent highs of the Imperials and the deep bass response.

5. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I moved my Goodwoods to my new Singlecut Trem with the solid rosewood neck, and they are amazing, just not in my Hollowbody. Was wanting to try the Imperials, but before going out and buying 2-3 more sets of pups and reselling the ones that don't make the cut I was hoping someone who actually owned a HB with different pickups would respond. Any other ideas?-Eric