What pickups have knocked your socks off?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doc, Dec 1, 2019.

1. doc

doc Member

I'm particularly curious about newer designs that manage both to do something new and impressive. I'm pretty familiar with many of the pickups out there, especially PAF repros and similar. So far my exposure to newer designs is limited - a couple I have tried and like are the EMG X 89 and the Wilde (Lawrence) micro coils. I'm not really in the market for anything specific, just curious what's out there I might not be aware of. A couple of designs I've been curious about are the Lace Alumitones and Zexcoils, but not curious enough to buy. Anyway, if you've been impressed with something, tell me about it and some details - what's different in the design, what you like about it, styles it works for, etc.

Daren Anderson likes this.
  2. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Suhr pickups are fantastic IMO.

SSV or Thornbucker if you like PAF.

Guitardave, rh, Dominik and 8 others like this.
  3. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Fralin Tele Split Blades- Hot

BerkeleyJones, mody and billbondo like this.
  4. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I don't know why but I love Seymour Duncan Black Winters so much but I have 4 of em. They just work and I don't have to fight my guitar.

5. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Dimarzio Air Norton (at neck)

EMG 85 at the bridge paired with Steve Lukather SLV stacked singles. The 89 at the bridge should be even better since it acts as an 85 in HB mode, but can go to a single SA mode for best #2 cleans.

Bareknuckle Nailbomb for classic Bay Area Bangers thrash tones.

The EMG TX series are very interesting as a sort of hi-fi hotrod take on the Telecaster. The detail is such than you can really hear the difference between wound and non-wound strings. Not for traditionalists, but the best EMG Tele pickups IMO.

Duncan Parallel Axis set - PATB2 + Classic Stacks - I have this is one of my Charvels, and the HB has one of the best molten lava lead tones I have heard! The singles also go very well with it. The original PATB is a little milder if you don't want a screamer at the bridge.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Liquid Quarter, egregion and wox like this.
  6. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Suhr Thornbucker and pretty much anything from Wolfetone (especially legends and Kauerbuckers).

eazywind, MrMoose, RayRay and 2 others like this.
  7. koji

koji Member

Pickups are only as good as the guitar you put them in.

JB6464, BADHAK, bpayne82 and 23 others like this.
  8. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

These days it’s really just Suhr and Bareknuckle. Absolutely love the Suhr Doug Aldrich set, and I’ve never tried a Bareknuckle set that hasn’t blown my mind (think I have about 10 different ones in various guitars).

9. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

DiMarzio Area T. I wanted noiseless pickups in my Tele and bought a used set to try them out as a less expensive option, and I will never replace them. Sparkle, twang, and chime all day. They drive beautifully and retain clarity. The neck pickup has a very Stratty tone, making it more functional than I am used to tele neck pickups being. This actually led to me selling my Strat. I could not be happier with this set.

10. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Could have sent your kids to college with that. :dunno

TJjones, asilker, egregion and 3 others like this.
  11. Pablo

Pablo Member

To me, it’s the Mojotone Quiet Coil 58 - just a great single coil tone... that also happens to be noise cancelling!

12. doc

doc Member

How does the Mojotone do its noise cancelling? They don't really spell that out anywhere that I can see.

13. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Fralin SP43... great rock sounds.

Lollar Imperial... killer strat bridge HB.

Lace Chrome Dome... such a full and round middle pup.

Anacharsis, MaxTwang and billbondo like this.
  14. LTigh

LTigh Member

Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers-- right now they're my go-to for anything LP-style. Previous to that I were into the Pearly Gates or Alnico II Pro.

For S-types, the Seymour Duncan Five-Twos, what to me are sound like the best traditional-style SSS pups. If I want something hotter, the Fender Texas Specials.

For TEH METALZZZ I've had my face scorched off by the SD Nazgul/Sentient set during my 7-string phase, and Black Winters for my not-7-string phase.

Yeah, I know I'm a little biased towards SD, but they've done me more good than harm for the last 3 decades or so. A buddy of mine keeps trying to get me into BKPs, but right now I haven't been impressed enough to swap out my Sefs for a pair.

15. clcwarlock

clcwarlock Member

Thornbuckers and TV Jones Filtertron classics

16. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Fralin vintage hot strat pickups. I’ve had at least 15 different pickups in my strat over the past 24 years. I stopped looking when I tried the Fralins. Just insanely dynamic. Pick softly, you get one sound. Dig in and you get another. Other strat pickups seem one dimensional by comparison. Well, because they are.

mody likes this.
  17. wetordry

wetordry Member

Seymour Duncan ssl-5 cal set really did the trick on a certian strat, amazed.
    So good I'm not buying another set even though id like to, cause I know it'll be a letdown in a different guitar.

1973Marshall, slider and Mincer like this.
  18. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

Basically the ones that are in my guitars. Antiquities in one Les Paul, Custom Shop Pearly Gates in the other. Bare Knuckle Apaches in the Strat. Custom Shop Texas Specials in the Tele.

Dannyz likes this.
  19. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

20. Toffo

Toffo Member

Bareknuckle Juggernauts turned my 7 from mediocre to amazing. The guitar always played well but the sound coming out of the amp was disappointing. A pickup swap did the trick, now it’s possibly my favourite sounding guitar.

Daren Anderson and noisebloom like this.