• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What pickups have knocked your socks off?

CanserDYI

Fishman Fluence Moderns. I was sooooo against actives for so long, EMGs left a bad taste in my mouth.

My fishmans make me turn down guitars I would otherwise love just because I know a Fishman wouldnt fit the route.

Just soooo articulate. So much clarity and this almost "spring to life" feeling when you pluck the string.

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
Ron Ellis tele broadcaster pickups....every time... for years. For everything on the tele, beefed up a little bit.

gretschplayer

TV Jones Starwood Tele pickups are awesome. Tone wise, they're a cross between a Tele and a Strat, and they have the texture of a Filter'Tron.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I definitely haven’t tried them all and it’s certainly guitar-dependent, but the following:

WCR Godwood A2 in a R4 Oxblood Les Paul
WCR Godwood A8 in a R7 Les Paul
Peter Florance Voodoo ‘59 set in my red R8 (see pic below, this guitar is pretty perfect for me)

Honorable mention: Wolfetone Marshallheads are rock solid each time I’ve tried them.

Chad

Surprised they haven't been mentioned (that I've seen) but Dimarzio 36th Anniv. Low output enough that they sound good with a variety of genres. A bit more mids than most PAF-ish pickups. Tight enough to still sound good with hard rock/metal. I use the DP223 in the bridge and the DP103 in the neck. Love that setup in 3 guitars.

milli vanilli

JB and Jazz. Have them in a couple of my guitars, and while they are not the sexiest most obscure answer they sound fantastic, are responsive, and compliment each other so well that I don’t have to really think about changing my pickups lol.

mikefair

Silver Supporting Member
Stewmac's Parsons Street PAFs. Not because they're cheap or good for the money, but because I don't think you could tell them apart from Seth Lovers or Antiquities or a bunch of other highly regarded PAF knockoffs. Oh, and they are cheap.

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
For PAF pickups - Suhr Thornbucker has been a favorite as well as a Duncan Seth Lover

For Strat pickups - Jim Rolph makes some great pickups

jimtalkbox

Suhr V60LP (Strat Pickups)
Dimarzio Air Classics (Humbucker)
Seymour Duncan SP-90s (Regular Vintage Output P90s)
TV Jones TV Classics (Filtertron)
Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue (50's-ish Tele Bridge Pickup)

I've also been pretty impressed with the new-ish Dimarzio PG-13 Minihumbucker

Chris Scott

I bought a really resonant brand-new 2015 CS '63 Tele last year from my old friend Dan Duehren...it damn near jumped outta my hands when I played a couple open chords, and I bought it on the strength of it's acoustic sound...never even plugged it in until I got back home.

It sounded ok, pretty bright though as it had a rather odd wiring scheme, along with a bright cap on the vol. pot so I tried it with a "conventional" Tele wiring scheme, and again, ok but not really doing the guitar any favors.

So I rolled 4 different sets through it (all well-known top-tier winders, just don't need to say who as it's subjective), and I was ready to just put it back to conventional wiring with the original pickups, when I thought shoot - let's just try one more set.

Klein '50 Nocaster set...they're the perfect compliment to this guitar, and dare I say it (dare...dare!) I will now put this instrument up against ANY rosewood-board Tele on the planet...alive, articulate, warm and full-bodied, so much so that I can play it straight-in with no pedals and play blissfully for hours.

First time I've ever had a set of pickups complete an electric guitar...:cool:

You don't really need to justify yourself.
We don't all have the same means. We shouldn't feel guilty for treating ourselves.

Just be glad to enjoy them. ;)
Oh trust me I wasn’t at all justifying myself haha, I’m sure the guy who made the initial comment was kidding anyway. Just meant to say that I don’t bother paying $350 for a set of pickups when I can get a mint used set for $150 or less :)

mildew

Q Pickups (handwound by a guy in Croatia, purchased off Ebay). By a long way the best sounding pickups i have had in my strat. Classic and characterful :)

Anacharsis

Fitting into the "does something new" angle, I like Lace Aluma 90s. I'm going to put a pair in a Modern Player Thinline soon, because I love them in a guitar a pal of mine has.

Their wide, open sound works extremely well with modulation and analog-style delay that rolls off the highs on the repeats. They can also do crazy cool sounds with fuzz.

Trending Topics