• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What pickups have knocked your socks off?

Travst

I have a set of Tom Short Swinging Singles in my Strat, Slider's '52s in my Tele, and just ordered a set of Thornbuckers for '76 LP Custom.

Rickenbacker Hi-Gain and G&L ASAT. Similar pickups really, they look kind of like a P90, but sound like a really punchy, full single coil with more power behind them. But they don't have the sort of low midrange thing P90's have, they are still clear.

Was also highly impresser by the Gibson Burstbucker, which sounds huge without hyped anything. Just a big open sound for a humbucker

gtr777

Silver Supporting Member
I really like the Dimarzio Andy Timmons in the bridge and 35th Anniversary neck in my LP's but I'm curious to check out the Steve Stevens Bare Knuckles.

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
Mojotone Hot PAF has "stuck", along with the Amber Pickups Spirit of 59, SD Brobucker too..

Got a Rewind Electronics P90 Custom Wind recently, really nice too..

Area's from Dimarzio too...

scelerat

Gold Supporting Member
I'm going to go with old but possibly overlooked... would love to hear if there are new pickups that sound anything close to...

Schaller humbuckers from the '80s. I have heard a few, mounted in G&L guitars from the mid-'80s. Bright and clear, not too high output. I love em as much as the Duncan Antiquities I have in another guitar.

Jim S

Platinum Supporting Member
Dimarzio Bluesbucker!!!
Duncan Custom
Duncan Custom/59
BK Rebel Yell (close behind)
BK P90 high output(forgot name)

Last edited:

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
These are my favorite to date:

Humbuckers:Lollar Imperials: balanced, rich, these are just great sounding PAFs and my keepers in my Hamer Mahogany HB Artist.

Gibson Custombuckers: lots of clarity, very vintage voiced - these have some inherent mojo.

Tele Single Coils: Fender Twisted Tele. Higher output single coils with all of the twang, warmth and clarity you expect from a good Tele single coil. I wish they were noiseless, but I can’t have everything.

P90s: Mojotone ‘56 Quiet Coils. I like these so much 2/3 of my electrics have them. P90 tone without the hum. As good as the Wolfetone Mean/Meaner or Gibson P90s I’ve owned. Great midrange snarl, some grit, chime and even some smokey textures.

My favorite pickups of all are probably Gretsch Dynasonics. Really ballsy Tele-like pickups. Lots of twang, bite and clarity, but with an almost P90 attitude (just not as midrangey). I need to find me a semi hollow soon with these.

Last edited:

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
My 335 has a set of Harmonic Design Z90s, my CR8 has a Lollar El Rayo in the neck position and an Imperial Low Wind in the bridge. I’d call both sets socks knock offing.

COYS

For strats, which is all I'm very knowledgeable about:

The pickups in the Silver Sky
Klein Jazzy Cat
the Big Dipper pickups that were in the Mayer Fender strat
Fender Pure Vintage 59s
Lollar Blonde
Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot, for contrast

(You can probably see where my preferences lie from that listing, but those are the best ones I've tried)

bettset

PAF's. whatever they did with them when they were wound, the type of wire and all.........put them up against anything else and the difference is obvious :munch

Pablo

How does the Mojotone do its noise cancelling? They don't really spell that out anywhere that I can see.
Mojotone’s Quiet Coils are essentially rail type humbuckers with fake pole pieces to make them look “right”.

Mojotone’s idea is basically to use the traditional wire, a traditional number of total winds split across two coils around two traditional AlNiCo centers/rails.

The two coils are wound in series to get the traditional output from the traditional number of total winds, which is also why Mojotone recommends 500k pots.

With that said, the technology matters nought, if the tone isn’t there... and to me, the tone is decidedly there!

Cheers

Eske

Trending Topics