• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What pickups have knocked your socks off?

As run of the mill as they may seem, for me it has been Fender Texas Specials. In my hardtail strat they just sound properly stratty.

p.j.

The stock Dimarzio pickups that came with my Parker Nitefly SA all sound great. The 2 single coils have flat pole pieces and the bridge hum bucker is bright and chimey and blends well, volume-wise, with the 2 singles.

HugoLC

I recently dropped a Dimarzio PAF master neck in the bridge of a Dean ML.
Very surprised how good it sounds , fits well with the guitar and sustains well the Floyd Rose tricks

EC Strat

How does the Mojotone do its noise cancelling? They don't really spell that out anywhere that I can see.
From what I can tell after reading about them - I think each pole piece has its own dummy coil in reverse polarity Basically taking the idea of using a dummy coil in the middle pickup for cancelling and applying it to each magnet.

someone chime in if I’m off base here bc is not totally sure

EC Strat

Classic Stack Plus: everything I like about a single coil, without hum
Antiquites: makes every 335-type sound like the best sounding records
Custom Custom: takes up a huge swath of frequencies, so it is perfect for a 1 guitar band
Alnico II Pro: it is like 2 giant sticks of butter were crammed into the front of the guitar
What are the things you like best about single coils? Curious for your take on them

EC Strat

Definitely agree with a lot of the Lollar and Suhr fans. Particularly any of the Lollar Tele pickups as well as the Imperials. I haven't personally played a lot of Suhr pickups, but the SSVs are amazing.

Haven't seen Lambertones or McNelly's mentioned yet. The Lambertones Crema's and the Ristretto's are my current favorite pickups.
I have a crema neck and grinder bridge - while I agree they are high level pups, the crema for me is a stones throw away from a single coil. I want my HBs to be more aggressive than that I’m replacing them with ‘57’s

EC Strat

Hands down the SD STK 4’s are fantastic. They give you SSL 1 tones on a noiseless format. Superb pickups and they pair great with a Midboost.

johnny q

Fralin Vintage Hot Strat pickups. Also, the (now fabled) Tim White Timbucker - ED A wind certainly knocked my socks off.

Duncan Parallel Axis set is very impressive in my old school Charvel 475.

Also the classic Wilde L500XL/'59N in my ash Charvel with ebony board, the Nuno formula. Very precise at edgy at the bridge, and like ice cream at the neck.

And my favorite active setup, EMG 85/SLV/SLV, the Steve Lukather setup + EMG SPC midboost in my Charvel 650 Custom:

It’s not new, but the Wilde L-90 is my favorite pickup bar none.
I love my L-90. I just posted a thread last night, because I replaced it with an L500xl, and I think it was a mistake. The L-90 is just so clear and dynamic, it's really unlike anything else I've played.

When I first installed it, I thought I had mistakenly only hooked up one coil, because it sounded like a single coil to me! But after double checking the wiring, and verifying that the coil split did in fact work, I realized that it's just that different.

I have the 6H version, I just wish it had more output and a little more "scream".

Cousin

Silver Supporting Member
Barden tele neck pickup. the first time I heard/played that I was blown away, what a beautiful, touch sensitive sound.

Ben Furman

Silver Supporting Member
I love my L-90. I just posted a thread last night, because I replaced it with an L500xl, and I think it was a mistake. The L-90 is just so clear and dynamic, it's really unlike anything else I've played.

I have the 6H version, I just wish it had more output and a little more "scream".
You can, of course, get an 8H model, but make sure you’ve raised the pickup as high as you reasonably can in the bridge position before going with a hotter unit.

You can, of course, get an 8H model, but make sure you’ve raised the pickup as high as you reasonably can in the bridge position before going with a hotter unit.
I set it up with it about the thickness of a nickel on both the treble and bass sides, then cheated it up another half turn or so. I considered the 8H, but I read multiple times that there wasn't a discernable difference between the two. I'll probably still end up trying it though.

Robm422

Silver Supporting Member
WB Habanero neck pickup, is probably the only pickup that "knocked my socks off". Too bad you can't get them anymore.

Trending Topics