What pickups in the new 2008 Am Std strats?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Sep 15, 2008.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I don't think Fender is still using Tex-Mex pu's in the new 2008's. Is this correct?
    I have heard them described as "vintage hot single coil" pu's. Are these new for Fender?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

??
    fender puts american standard pickups in american standard instruments, and always has. the tex-mex's went in the jimmie vaughan and a few other mexican pieces.

3. Michael T

Michael T Member

Tex Mex pickups have never been stock on the American or American Standard guitar lines.

4. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

A Modern Strat with Blistering "Tex-Mex" Pickups
    During the half century since its introduction, the Strat[SIZE=-1]®[/SIZE] has undergone many small, but important design changes - some good and some . . . well, let's just say a bit funky and leave it at that. The American Series Stratocaster[SIZE=-1]®[/SIZE] HSS guitars were designed with three sizzling hot pickups - one fat Diamondback Humbucker™ in the bridge position and two custom-staggered Tex-Mex™ single coils plus unique S1 switching!

Fender American Strat HSS at a Glance:

• Solid ash body with Sunburst polyurethane finish.
    • Two custom staggered Tex-Mex single coils and one FENDER[SIZE=-1]®[/SIZE] Diamondback humbucker with S1 switching.
    • One-piece maple neck and fingerboard with modern "C" shape.
    Then the above is false advertising.....straight from the Sweetwater web site....

5. John C

John C Supporting Member

It's not deceptive advertising because it is true. Since the "American Strat HSS" was introduced in July 2003 they have used Tex-Mex single coils and the Diamondback humbucker. The current "American Standard Strat HSS" the "American Strat HSS" in January also uses the same pickups but doesn't have the S-1 switch.

Now up until the "American Strat HSS" replaced the "American Texas Special Fat Strat" in mid-2003 no regular production run American-made Strat used the Tex-Mex pickups; just the occasional FSR custom run used them. The old "Lone Star Strat" and "American Texas Special Fat Strat" used USA-made Texas Special pickups.

6. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

So then the posts above are wrong. Tex-Mex were standard pickups in American HSS strats?

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Am Std HSS or Loanstar,had Texas Specials (also horrible.)

8. John C

John C Supporting Member

Yes, it is just the American HSS models and just since circa July 2003 when the model specs changed.

Eagle1 is correct the 1996-mid 2000 Lone Star Strat (based on the original American Standard) and mid-2000 through mid-2003 American Texas Special Fat Strat (based on the American Series Strat) had the USA-made Texas Special pickups.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i stand corrected.

10. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

Not much of it all matters to me.
    The pickups in the 08 Am St Strat didnt cut it for me
    and the 54s I put in were a great improvement.
    The AM ST originals are not what you would call organic
    sounding pickups.
    Theyll get you through a night an more but not through
    Life with a strat..IMO.
    Sorry this is off topic.