What pickups in your ash strat?? Fralins? SP43 users?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamison162, Jan 26, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

If you want the short version, just read the bold print.

I just got my Grosh RC in with underwound Fralin Blues Specials in the neck/middle and SP43 bridge. I've played this exact setup before and it killed but that was several months ago and I'm not sure I'm digging these. I can't quite figure out why yet. The guitar is stiff and needs to be played in. Acoustically it's amazing, I just don't seem to be hearing what I want to be plugged in.

Also, I thought my bridge pickup sounded a little weaker than I remembered and wanted it to be, checked the SP43 with a meter and it only reads 9.14....Fralin's specs give it a full 10.0 with the SP42 at 7.0. I want it as hot as I can get it. What does your SP43 spec at?

And on the neck/middle...uuuggghhh, I can't figure what I'm hearing or not hearing that has me shaking my head. Not enough quack, but a the same time a little lacking and tinny. I don't know whether to go hotter or lower. I guess Don and Lindy can help me get it sorted out.

This is the quiestest strat I've ever heard, I think Don shields them very well. I'm beginning to wonder if all the shileding has a negative impact on tone...kind of like the blanket over the speaker syndrome.

I also thought I've heard the Don wires in a treble bypass/blees on the volume control; anyone know how that affects overall tone?

May even be a phase issue with my neck and/or middle because #2 just ain't sounding right.

Lastlly, I hope the blender pot is a modified pot like what Fralin does in opening it up and removing part of the trace/sweep so when full on it's totally out of the circuit.

Thinks for reading......I'm open for discussion.

2. mockoman

mockoman Member

I just measured my SP43...9.55.
    Unlike normal Strat pups,you can adjust these pretty close to the strings.

As for maximum quack,make sure the treble side of the middle pup is also adjusted up close to the strings.

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I was thinking about puttin that exact set up in my ash tyler....hmmm.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Cool, it's not too far off then. I may mess around with adjusting pickups when I have some time to really listen. The middle is up higher than the neck.

I was able to crank it pretty good today and sounded a little better, still something seems a little off, maybe it's time for a retube...I've been thinking about that lately anyway. I have my rig so balanced now; cables, speakers, etc. that I really am beginning to pick up on the little details. I'm beginning to think I hear the same as what others have posted about the Fralins, the metallic, tinny, almost harsh attack sound. Those must be some strong A5 poles.

Anyone know what mags are used in the SP43, I hear a little of that metallic sound there too.

It's hard to compromise when you want it all...balanced eq, quack, chime, clarity, punch, volume, and strong mids in the bridge to rock with, while retaining clarity...all that without any harshness or being too thin,

I'm hopeless.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I think I know what happened to my SP43. Instead of just underwinding the BS in the neck & middle, I think Fralin/Grosh had my SP43 underwound also. To come in at 9.14 ya know....9.6 +/- maybe. The SP42 is 7.0.

I may or may not check into a hotter SP43, maybe mine is a thot as he can wind it and it just happend to read 9.14, who know. But if it's underwound, I definitely want to get it hotter.

Probably leave the middle alone and check into a Real 54 or Vintage Hot for neck.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

7. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

I have a Grosh Retro Classic with Ash body and rosewood neck. It originallly had Fralin Blues specials. I really did not like the overall sound which was tight.

I much perfer in this guitar Lollar Blackface pickups. More open sound. For a little more beaf on the bridge, you can allways add a Lollar special.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I've talked with both Lindy Fralin and Jason Lollar today. I think I've got to get rid of that treble bypass circuit as many feel it can add to the brittlenes of the high end and attack.

Lindy suggested either degausing the A5's (he charges them full tilt just about, think he said 98%, they're strong), or going with the full Blues Specials instead of the underwounds. But that's not gonna solve my problem, and in fact will be the opposite of what I'm going for tone wise by adding in more mids.

I'de like to hear more glassiness, but not necessarily more treble...basically I've got to tame the harshness of the attack due to the ash/braz. rosewood.

I can also try the Lollar Blondes or other A2 based pickup like the Area 58's or 61's. Even Detemples Sweet Spots, which Jason makes I understand.

Lots of good options and I think I can find exactly what I'm looking to hear to make this my #1. I love the looks, finish and playability, it's flawless.