What poickups do you like and why?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cisspcism, Feb 24, 2009.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Hi, Its been awhile since I actually listened or compared pickups. Most of my guitars lately all have the carvin C22B and H22N pickups. I mainly play on the C22B which is a bridge pickup and has been described has a JB on steroids. I dont think so, I wasnt big on a JB I had on an ESP eclipse, too me the pick up was to airy on the high ended. The c22B to me is thicker with less highs. Any way I like the pickups in my Carvins but have been flirting getting new pickups.

The problem is its been so long that I cant really compare until I get some in my guitars to compare and contrast. I did order a Seymour duncan custom custom as it seems up my alley with strongs mids and smooth rolled back highs, plus I had one in a Washburn Pilson Idol I had and really loved the clarity of that pickup. I use to have a Kramer and an ESP from late 80s with a seymour duncan invader in it and I seemed to recall liking it, but not so sure if I would today.

I look at the tone charts for all of the Seymour duncan pickups and everything seems to be pretty scooped in the mids or to overbearing in the highs ecept for the Custom Custom. Listening to the sound samples i actually liked the custom custom and dstortion pickup the best but I would be afraid the distortion pickup would be too trebly for me, I mean heck I roll the treble back alot on all my high gain amps.

but anyway I am rambling on, I dod remember having a screaming demon in a Mahogony Ibanez and I hated it, too much highs and not enough mids.

but anyway what pickups have you tried and liked?

2. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

I'm a die hard Lollar fan these days and have been through many other brands' sets over the past few years. It all depends on what you're after but in the mainstream, I think DiMarzio is making some pretty amazing pups.

3. shane8

shane8 Member

i prefer PAFish humbuckers but the dimarzio air nortons (all of em actually) r pretty cool + i have a "thing" for the dimarzio pro track - strat sized rail hb - :thud

4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Amalfitano pups are incredible, have them as split coils in my Epi Sheraton II, and that they are just amazing, the single coil and humbucker tones from that gutiar are so addicting, I have rio grande's in a few of my guitars, the Texas BBQs in both my LPs, split coils as well and get a very good single coil tone, their fat bottom dual calibrated in my fat strat, and that is split coil as well, very versitial set, the lindy fralins blues specails in my jap strat used to be my favorite tone pups, the Amalfitano pups in my sheraton have totally wiped those out, they do every thing so well.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8n7ad/amalfitanopickups/id2.html

what I find amazing is that the split coils i have tried on existing guitars usually sound so bad, the rio grande and amalfitano sound so good with really no effort in both single and humbuckers.

Jerry is local, so its easy to get what I am looking for, the rio grandes had been at quite a few shows and the robin guitars are quite popular, so I its easy to know what I was doing, the amalfitano are fairly recent that he has been building pups.

5. steve39stripes

steve39stripes 39 Stripes Supporting Member

Seymour Duncans! The new P-Rails are amazing and will do full on Humbucker, P90, and Single Coil all in one! In Les Pauls I love the Custom Custom in the bridge and still love the Jazz in the neck.

6. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

For Single Coils I like Fralin Vintage Hots and Suhr FL Standards.