• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What pots (audio/linear) would you recommend for this setup...?

TJT79

HI

I am renovating my guitar, putting a single Firebird style in the bridge. I'm going to buy from David at Zhangbucker who has been helpful in tailoring what I want.

I'm also going to replace the pots and capacitors. I'm probably going CTS 500k, but I'm not sure on linear/audio.

I use guitar STRAIGHT INTO crunchy amp, and ride the volume knob a lot for controlling how much breakup.

I will probably try a Kinman treble bleed mod, and try without to see which I prefer. This to keep some sparkle when I roll down to clean.

1 volume, 1 tone. What would you recommend (audio or linear taper) for each of these?? Remember - I don't do volume swells or anything like that. I will use the volume knob to control exactly how much distortion I get from the amp. And the tone knob to, er... control the tone.

Also, what's a good starting point for the tone capacitor? I might get a couple but I'm not really clear on what difference these make.

I've read loads and got more confused. Seems Audio for volume, Linear for tone?

Thanks,
Tristan

David Collins

Options are audio for both or linear volume & audio tone. Linear tone is only ever useful if you like all the effective control packed between 1-3 (kind of like an on/off tone switch).

For yours, audio all around.

For caps gets few values and test to see what you may like is a cheap option. There's not really a better or worse here, and results do vary considerably depending on inductance and resistance of the pickups.

SamBooka

Walter told me once (I hope I get this right).. if you play dirty and like to clean it up with your volume then use audio.. if you play clean and want a volume control with a usable taper go for linear.. (I am a clean guy and linear seems to do it for me)

For tone controls always audio.. :confused

David Collins

The value of the cap only plays a significant roll when the tone is turned down, as the pickup resistance goes up the tone cap value has to go down for the same effect, and the effect tends to come across as less strongly as the overdrive goes up.

So if you're using a 7k pickup and want real dark when the tone is rolled back, you'd probably want up toward .05. Want it a bit more honky in the mid range, you may want to push down toward .022-.033. If your pickup is 12k then you may want to go around .033 for dark, or.010 - .015 for honk. If you're in heavy overdrive however, that .010-.015 may not come through the same, and you may prefer more toward the .022 range.

It's a very individual preference, but also very cheap and easy to experiment with. Best thing to do is get a range of caps from .01 to .05, solder some alligator clips to your tone pot, roll the tone pot all the way down and spend a bit of time swapping different values until you find what works best for you.

TJT79

Haha, I was in the middle of that very video when I saw your post! Thanks very much David - this series is really helpful.

TJT79

I assume buying tone capacitors, the voltage rating makes no difference at all in a guitar?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks very much David - this series is really helpful.
big +1! a very nice "final word" on a whole bunch of these questions.

my only suggestion to @David Collins is to link the "capacitor survey" one where he sneaks in the paper clip wire to this series, that one is a nice eye-opener.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I assume buying tone capacitors, the voltage rating makes no difference at all in a guitar?
correct, there's barely any voltage or current inside a guitar; as far as voltage ratings are concerned, since it seems to follow the physical size of the cap, get one that's big enough to be easy to work with but small enough to fit, that's all that matters.

mark norwine

Walter told me once (I hope I get this right).. if you play dirty and like to clean it up with your volume then use audio.. if you play clean and want a volume control with a usable taper go for linear.. (I am a clean guy and linear seems to do it for me)

For tone controls always audio.. :confused

My thoughts *exactly*.

(I, too, am a clean guy & use linear volume pots)

Trending Topics