What power attenuator for a Fender Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ben Sp, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

Non-master volume Super Reverb. Thanks

2. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

Super Reverbs have 2 ohms, which is uncommon enough that I'm apprehensive to go for a ohm-specific one like the THD Hotplate, as much as people love those. It'd be nice to use it on other amps (with other ohmages) too.

Anyone have a good experience with a particular attenuator on a Super Reverb?

3. sliberty

sliberty Member

Sorry, but I will be a little off topic here. I hate attenuators. They change the sound too much for my taste. And the 2 ohm load is problematic. If it is not a vintage SR (you didn't mention), then I would install a VVR. But if vintage, I definitely would NOT install a VVR, but I also wouldn't use an attenuator with those vintage transformers. I'd rather see you disconnect two speakers and run mismatched at 4 ohms :)

What are you trying to accomplish? Just take the edge off? Cut it down to bedroom levels (a pipe dream at best)? What is your goal here?

4. throbert

throbert Member

I bought a Weber Mini Mass years ago that I run at 4 ohms on my '65 BFSR on the recommendation of the late Ted Weber. He said it would work just fine and I've never had any issues whenever I need to knock down the sound a little. I previously tried a 2 ohm THD which I didn't care for at all. I don't use my Super Reverb that much anymore because it's just too much for most of my gigging situations. I usually use the MM at home on 8 ohms with one of my Deluxes or my Princeton.

Laurence likes this.
  5. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I have good results with the Jim Kelley Power Attentuator and also the Fryette Power Station

Laurence likes this.
  6. bigben55

bigben55 Member

I won't use one with mine. I know a guy who uses a weber with success with the ohm mismatch(4 vs 2) but I'll pass. Get an old late 90s Fulldrive 2.

7. Baker18

Baker18 Gold Supporting Member

I've had success using the Ironman II attenuator with my JTM45.

Doug59 likes this.
  8. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

With a Super Reverb?

9. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

I use a Hotplate...never more than -8db...works great.

10. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I use the Power Station with my Super Reverb all the time. Works wonderfully and adds an FX loop.

11. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Yes, I looked into it and it works fine, currently using the Kelley to be able to turn my Super Reverb up to around 4, this is still a very clean sound but it just makes my overdrive pedals sound a lot better. Using the Fryette on my Princeton to boost the sound a bit, nice!

Ben Sp likes this.
  12. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

With a Super Reverb?
    You use the 2 ohm Hotplate?

13. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

Reading up on the Kelley attenuator, it says it's made for 4 and 8 ohm loads. With the Super Reverb being 2 ohms, are you concerned about damaging the amp by using the Kelley? Any issues?

14. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

It's been awhile but I did some research and found it would be okay, hopefully I can remember where to point you to and when I have more time I will do some digging to see where I read this

15. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

Yes

16. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

17. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I tried a Weber mass50 with my 67 BFSR... don’t do that.

18. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

I use the Tube Amp Doctor Silencer with mine. Works like a charm.

19. scopa

scopa Silver Supporting Member

Fryette PS2 - email him first to confirm, I have FSRRI and the PS2 says 4/2 ohms somewhere. just confirm it with Dave first

20. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Luckily for me my vintage SR had a four ohm transformer fitted when somebody cut it down into a head.
    I have an old Power Soak but I don't use it much now, I used it more when I had the Princeton.
    Sholz Power Soaks are okay with the lower powered Fenders, just don't use them with big iron, they melt.