What Preamp is for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PFCG, Jan 7, 2008.

1. PFCG

PFCG Member

Hey guys, im really in the market for a super high gain preamp or amplifier.

What i really want is a Diezel VH4 or a Herbert, but im not sure if i could get what i want somewheres else. Truthfully i just want channels 3 and 4 off the VH4 in a preamp.

I was also looking at the SE+3 from Custom Audio Electronics.

What i want is a super high gain preamp that is for outlandish metal and heavyness.

Is there an amp maker that would do this for under 2k for an all tube preamp that could give me all the sound i want. Im not really looking for hot rodded marshall, more like a recto but good. Ive owned a recto but i didnt like it.

I plan on getting my Two Rock CRA 100 modded so i could use just the poweramp section, then tag a different preamp on top.

Here is the sound im looking for:
    Meshuggah Catch 33 style/Trivium/Mastodon/Killswitch Engage rhythm sounds
    Children of Bodom/Arch Enemy style lead sounds

Gotta be quiet, gotta be very saturated. Lookin for any ideas. I DO NOT want to sell my Two Rock because i love it so! I also dont really wanna sell my Acoustic Image because it powers my Piezo/midi deals and acoustic guitar.

My guitars include:
    2 Parker Flys, one all mahogany with a maple top, the other is a mahogany neck and Koa Body. Both have duncan buckers. One tuned standard, one Eb Standard
    Alembic with actives. HSS Mahogany back with purpleheart and cocobolo top, maple/purpleheart/ebony neck thru with ebony board. Tuned D standard/ Drop C
    PRS CE24 with maple top, burstbucker bridge and phat cat neck tuned D Standard

Pedals are :
    Clyde Delux, ODC, Fat Boost, Fulldrive 2, and Choralflange

Would diezel just do a preamp in a rackmount? thanks for the help guys.

2. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

For super high gain:

Engl 570
    Engl 580
    VHT GP-3
    Rocktron Piranha (seriously)
    CAE 3+SE

You might try posting this same question at Harmony Central Amps forum. lots of high gain guys there.

3. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Egnater M4 with EG5 and Erect modules. There's four high gain channels and then take your pick of any two more modules (Vox, Fender, etc) for four more clean channels. And yes it's $2000.

Oh and they rock and the wait time is about 6 weeks.

4. PFCG

PFCG Member

not a big rivera guy. Ive heard everything from them and really havent been blown away. When i saw tool live it was a religious experience, thats what i want to recreate!

5. Keld

Keld Supporting Member

If you generally like the Recto sound, the Triaxis might be worth looking into - more options than you really need but pair it with a good power amp and you could probably find what your looking for.

6. PFCG

PFCG Member

thanks for the help guys, any others?

7. JerryP

JerryP Member

Peavey Rockmaster.
    Jerry

8. PFCG

PFCG Member

no peavey, sorry, im looking a little more in the boutique market

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

mesa triaxis or a quad preamp maybe

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Carvin TN-100

seriously. don't knock it till you hear it. Its still in Gambale's touring rig. Nothing does the saturated lead tone better from what i've played. All analog, but midi controlled for 99 presets.

11. einstein

einstein Member

Shawn lane had the peavey preamp and it was as good as many boutiques. I saw a kiss cover band last week and dude had a tweed peavey head that sounded as good or better than many marshalls. Kiss nation i think, better than i expected and cool shoes.

12. PFCG

PFCG Member

im not looking for kiss though, im looking for something that will melt your face. Id say the lightest i wanna get its megadeth circa rust in peace. Im looking for a very deep heavy tone. Think Tool and Killswitch rythem sounds. Arch Enemy leads. Not particularly in the Marshall vein. Definitely a modern sound that im looking for.

13. tats_dragon

tats_dragon Member

Sounds like a typical Peavey basher.

The Rock Master is a great preamp.
    I prefer it over:
    Hughes & Kettner Access
    Rocktron Piranha
    Marshall JMP-1
    Mesa Studio pre
    Soldano Sp-77
    Soho QTR-1
    etc.

Good tone is subjective but don't make the mistake of not trying something just because of the name.

Jun

14. PFCG

PFCG Member

i mean im open to trying stuff out, but ive been a tad spoiled by buying myself some fancy ****

15. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

I have an MI Audio made Soldano XR88 clone. It rocks! Not for sale though :AOK

16. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey 7String Thing,

I own and use 2 ADA Depot 3TM modded MP-1 preamps. More gain and killer hotrodded tone in that old preamp. You'll have to buy a used stock ADA MP-1 preamp and have the 3TM tube circuitboard installed. More info can be found here: www.adadepot.com

Guitar George

17. Stike

Stike Member

+1
    I have one and love it. I think the high gain channel will easilly do what you want. They can be had cheap and if you don't like it it'll be easy to flip.

18. bosstone

bosstone Member

I just love it when overlooked, much cheaper, used gear kicks the crap out of high priced stuff. I have almost always had the high priced stuff for over 3 decades and some of it is undeniably very, very good but it is not always the best and if you consider value at all, many times they are a very poor value. Then there is always the issue that if it cost an arm and a leg, will it ever get out of your bedroom? Just sayn'...

19. PFCG

PFCG Member

yes it will most certainly be out of my bedroom sir. I play out quite often with a few bands. Im currently trying to finagle myself a spot with TSO's narrator for a new type of show. Please try not to be so condescending. This is what i do for a living.

I need reliable equipment so i dont have to worry about getting it fixed or it breaking down on stage. i most often go boutique because its usually pretty sturdy. If i have something that will break down if it gets tossed around its not for me.

20. Clashcityrocker

Clashcityrocker Member

Try a Hoffmann 3C it is basically the same pre amp they use in the Valkyrie. www.hoffmannamps.com