What preamp tubes for my DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Denny, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Denny

Denny Member

Hi all: I need some good preamp tubes for the DRRI - I don't want NOS tubes though. What do you guys suggest??

Denny

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've generally had good luck with JJ/Tesla tubes in my Fender amps.

3. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

I'd suggest the Tung Sol reissues as well as JJ....I've had good luck with both.
    Dave C

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

I've had good luck with EH 12AX7's. They smoother than most especally when pushed hard. The JJ ECC83 is a nice tube also.

In the DR V1 and V2 are the gain tubes, channel 1 and 2.

5. Denny

Denny Member

What's weird is last night I was playing the amp dimed for the first time and it seemed that the notes just didn't sustain (compress?) like they should. I have NOS 6V6's in there with a NOS rectifier tube (forgot the brands but came highly recommende by a fellow TGP'er). Maybe I'm just used to screaming boogies, but something just didn't seem right - like the notes were being restricted?

6. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

You need to have someone check the bias. NOS tubes could well be different than what Fender set it up for.

7. Denny

Denny Member

I've been through that with guys here on the site a million and one times - the bias is perfect (set it myself?). I set it to what the "tubeman" recommended to the letter. I didn't go high or low, just in the middle. I forgot the exact mA number but I did LOTS of research on it before actually doing it. The amp sounds great - really, just not getting that compressed sustain i was expecting. I kinda wonder if the $80.00 in NOS tubes was worth it - honestly.

Anyway - ain't no big deal - my Budda is still there for me if needed - I guess I was kinda let down when I dimed the baby. Don't get me wrong - it was "all there" - I guess I was just expecting "god" with the NOS power tubes and rectifier tube - given the way everyone raves about NOS this and that. Definately wasn't worth the extgra money - the EH tubes were just as good in my humble experience. With that said - NOS anything isn't worth the money - total rip off except for the dealer!! Buyers-be-ware!!

D.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7s.

For preamp tubes, you might as well go NOS. For $12 you can get NOS JAN Philips 12AT7s. Why save $2 on POS tubes?

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just curious. What power tubes did the NOS replace? How did it sound before?
    BTW-As far as new stuff goes JJ 6V6's made my Crate Stealth scream. Way stronger thas the EH 6V6's they replaced(also brand new);)

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Funny, but you never seem to question the amp itself. If you like Mesa's it's completely possible that you'll hate vintage style amps. Further, there are NO tubes that will make a Fender sound like a Mesa.

11. Denny

Denny Member

I really love the sound of the DRRI - It'll never be a mesa - that's for sure ;o)
    It just seems to be holding back on the compression/sustain thing on the long end of a note - however - (here's where "operator defective" comes into play), while sitting here writing this reply, I realized I was playing through a Boss GT-6 which MIGHT be the problem in the first place.:jo
    It's 6:30 am here so I can't crank her up till this afternoon - I'll be back with the results later today. Thanks for all the replay though. This is a great website.

D.

12. Denny

Denny Member

I just played the DRRI straight with me G&L Comanche and McCarty and there really wasn't much difference. Notes started to compress and sustain and then they stopped. Almost like the pup magnets were cusing the strings to stop vibration - which I can assure you isn't the case. There might not be anything "WRONG" with the amp or tubes either - I wish There was another one near me in VT t do some A/B-ing. Oh well - sometimes a rose is a rose is a rose. It DOES sound awesome and it's a definate keeper - i was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing what i was.

D.

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

It's difficult to know what you're hearing without being inside your head. The amp may be normal, maybe not.

Try any other 20 to 40 watt Fender amp you can find. That should give you an indication.

14. Denny

Denny Member

yes - I will do that. I guess the best way to describe it is when you have an amp dimed and the strings on the guitar almost seem to vibrate by themselves - I think this is called induction? That just doesn't seem to be happening here. Plenty of volume, tone, etc - just seem that the notes are being choked out - if that makes any sense? My experience has been that when an amp such as this is dimed, the guitar almost "plays itself?" That's not happening. Tonight I'm gonna pull out the Budda and see what happens. I know it's a different gain structure but I want to rule out the instruments. I'll keep y'all posted and thanks for your patience.

D.

15. Denny

Denny Member

forgot - to reply to a previous reply - I have NOS Hytron 6V6's in there.

D.

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

From your description, it does seem odd. I suspect an amp problem. Have you tried the original tubes again, just to see if that helps?

17. clunk

clunk Member

As far as just preamp tubes i agree with Mike K on the NOS JAN Phillips or GE's. Not alot more than what you would pay for modern tubes and probably worth it in the long run. Plus your biggest impact on tone, as far as tubes go, will be what you're using in your preamp mostly.
    As far as modern, the Tung sols for me have been fairly consistant. No probs yet as far as reliability on these ones, for me anyway. The JJ's are pretty good too. I have one of my marshalls outfitted with them. Although my best luck with one of my marshalls has been with sovtek. Not the most popular choice here and sound like crap in every other amp i put them in.
    Dont know what to tell you about your amp though. it does sound like an odd problem. I'm no amp tech.

Clunk

18. Denny

Denny Member

I'm wondering if the "original" speaker is the culprit? I'll check that out tonight. My bet is the preamp tubes though - I'll get some and check it out. Thanks
    D.

19. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Plug into another speaker cab and find out.