What priceless guitar(s) was stolen from you?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by The Worship Guitarist, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:08 AM.

1. The Worship Guitarist

The Worship Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Maybe priceless isn't the right word but a guitar that had sentimental value to you because it belonged to a family member or it was just truly unique. So what was stolen from you and did you ever it back?

My dad had 2 Avalon Acoustic guitars stolen from him. One Very limited edition Jacques Stotzem Model and an A32c. They were his favorite guitars and we haven't seen them since.

2. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I had an Eric Johnson Stratocaster (2006) stolen from me, it was actually stolen from a Music store that I had brought it to to have the pickups replaced. Although the guitar didn't hold any special or sentimental vale to me it still stung me pretty hard ! I really liked that Strat plus I never got to hear it with the new Kinman noiseless (Hank Marvin) pickups that had been installed in it. The music store stepped up and did the right thing and paid for the guitar as new and the value of the new pickups.

3. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

Funny you post this, my last post was about my absolute best guitar ever, an old 1990's Epi Les Paul Custom. I lived with that guitar, ate with it, gigged with it, slept with it. It was everything to me, and was lifted out of the back of our "tour" van with some cymbals and an old peavey PA system.

Years later I bought a Gibson thinking I'd rekindle my old flame with the Les Paul and no, unfortunately it did not.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:48 AM
  4. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

Not a priceless nor sentimental guitar but while I was a student at GIT I had a Hohner Revelation stolen from my locker. Never got it back, my parents homeowner insurance covered 2/3 of the cost which was cool. Just sucked because that was my first taste at how careless and cruel people can be to steal something of value to another person.

The Worship Guitarist likes this.
  5. burningyen

burningyen Member

I grew up in Columbia, SC. My parents have been living abroad the past 20 years while renting out our old house. They finally moved back in January, so in June I went back and was really looking forward to digging out my first guitar, an old 70s or 80s Cort LP copy. It looked pretty much identical to this:

[​IMG]

It was a plywood boat anchor, but I saved up my summer job money to buy it, and it's what I learned to play on.

Turns out one of my parents' tenants traded it away for an acoustic without asking us.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:51 AM
  6. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

The very first electric guitar I ever owned was stolen. I ended up getting it back but it had been damaged in the theft so it was a bit like adding insult to injury.

TD_Madden likes this.
  7. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

I’ve never had a guitar stolen.

modavis99 likes this.
  8. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

This is the saddest thing I can think of. Losing her and getting her back, but she's broken. Damn man, write an effing sob song about this...

9. Parlorman

Parlorman Silver Supporting Member

My first pro-level guitar was an early 60's Gretsch Tennessean. I was playing mostly acoustic music and the Gretsch was not seeing much use. A guy who played with my band from time to time asked if he could borrow it and offered a Gibson Heritage as collateral. Several months later I went to retrieve the Gretsch and the guy told me he had sold it and to keep the Gibby. I was not happy to say the least but there wasn't much I could do about it. To me, that counts as stolen.

10. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

1998 USA Hendrix (Woodstock) tribute strat lost in a burglary.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 7:40 PM
  11. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

My Dad bought me a Steinberger when we were on a trip. That guitar was stolen from our bands music room...super bummed. Even worse was the theft of my Charvel. It was so dope. Zebra stripe. Black Floyd, one brass knob, beautiful maple neck and a pointy HS.

I really want that one back. I look for it on eBay/Reverb all the time.

12. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

1996 Strat Plus. A blue fade semi-transparent finish, sparkle pick guard, and pewter hardware. Never seen one with its configuration before or since.

I had just played the Coconut Teaser on Sunset (that really dates me at this point), and it was stolen from the equipment truck when there was a moment of not being watched.

13. Rick51

Rick51 Member

1969 in Boston. Somebody walked away with my Byrdland. Police found it in a pawn shop with a $100 ticket. Insurance paid the $100, and I got it back no damage.

14. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

My 67 Silvertone (Teisco) semihollow was stolen from my sister in laws. It was. A very cheap guitar but I got it for Christmas when I was 13 and played the hell out of it thru a "tweed" Gibson Falcon..13th Floor Elevators, baby! Very sad....

15. Starshine

Starshine Member

It was a crappy guitar, but priceless for sentimental reasons. My Alvarez acoustic, which was the guitar my dad bought for me when I first started playing, was stolen when my house was broken in to.

16. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

I had a 1976 Guild D 25 (my first nice guitar) stolen out of my car at my friend's apartment back in '78...my girlfriend left her door unlocked...the guitar was tucked behind the front seat...we were in my friend's apartment for maybe 30 minutes...I was heart broken...still am...I'm pretty confident I would still have that guitar...serial number 141197 if anybody sees it around....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 4:46 PM
  17. Sobbincat

Sobbincat Gold Supporting Member

Man, I wish I did not have to write this, but it's time tell it like it is. My stuff is gone. Essentially stolen. People that I lived with agreed to let me store some gear. Then they started talking about abandoned property and the law is on their side. No need for I told you so. They were friends. And it makes it way worse to have to accept such blind cruelty from my friends. When I told them I wanted come by and get my stuff they called the cops and had me served. Cold blooded. What's their's was mine. Alas, Farewell to some great gear. Might meet again some day.

93 Martin D-16H
    90 Fender Strat White
    93 six saddle MiM Tele in Fiesta with Kinman's
    82 ES 335, Blonde with Shaw's
    86 Gibson Les Paul Studio with Shaw's and dots
    98 Gibson Les Paul Studio Gem, Sapphire
    75 Nagoya N-18 My first guitar
    Matchless SC 30

In a way I can be liberated from the tyranny of things. Been reading post modernism lately so I'm stoked to get on with the music with what I have. And what I have sounds pretty good.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    Hot In The Shade likes this.
  18. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Precision Bass #0374

Probably hanging on some kollecktor's wall these days.

standard24 likes this.
  19. josephpnorman

josephpnorman Supporting Member

I had a 1973 Gibson SG stolen from me. Luckily, the bum who stole it off stage offered to "sell it" the same night to a bouncer working at the club where we were playing that weekend. The bouncer gave him $20 for it and he had it waiting for me the next morning. #TrueLad.

monty and Noise Under The Floor like this.
  20. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

In the mid-90s I worked at an auto body shop painting fleet vehicles. One day another guy who worked there brought in a candy apple red Ibanez Destroyer in pieces in a box, which I bought from him for 35 bucks. I ordered some really nice pearl white paint and did a refin on it, came out really nice.

Flash forward to the late 90s, I'd gotten out of the body shop and BS'd my way into a gig at a startup internet company doing graphics work. Back then when computers were slower, I'd often have to wait a few minutes for a file I was working on to complete, so I brought the Destroyer into the office and kept it by my desk. One night, somebody broke into the offices and stole a few computers and monitors. They decided to take the Destroyer as well.

The company made it up to me by buying me a Fender Strat, which was pretty nice and I held onto it for about 10 years. Truth be told, I would have rather had the Destroyer back. That guitar kicked butt.

monty likes this.