What PRS neck carve is this?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by iaresee, May 20, 2008.

1. iaresee

iaresee Member

It's a '85 Standard 24. At the nut the width is 1 5/8" and the 12th fret it's 2 1/32". The thickness near the 12th fret is about 31/32" (I didn't want to take the strings off to get more accurate).

What does that mean in the land of PRS neck carve call signs? I'm doubting it's a wide fat. Is there a thin fat carve? Is that the "standard" carve?

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I believe it's a 'standard', which is as deep as a wide fat but slightly narrower at the nut. It's still used on Custom and Standard 24s, with wide thin as an option. I'm a big fan of the PRS standard neck.

3. iaresee

iaresee Member

I love this guitar. It was a total back-of-the-music-store-collecting-dust find. But used so no hang tags to enlighten me. By far and away the best dang neck I've never played. Thanks for the quick response!

Out of curiosity, what would the "regular" carve on the Mira be? Similar? The PRS site says it's got a wide-thin or regular neck available.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yup. Regular is the same on all PRS. A near perfect neck for me as well, and very similar to the proprietary neck that comes exclusively on their new and very hot Dave Grissom model.

5. baimun

baimun Member

It's funny they call it the "Regular" neck carve... when you can only get it on a Standard 24 or Custom 24. All the rest of the models are Wide Thin, Wide Fat, or proprietary.

I have the carve on my 24 and love it as well.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah, but I believe it was the 'regular' issue neck carve on the first production PRSs (Cu/St. 24), thus the designation. My hypothesis at least.

7. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

First off....If it's an 85 it's not a Standard as Standards started in 87.It's a PRE-Standard and welcome to the club. Most of the early ones are "Regular" carves, but no 2 are alike. There is alot of variation due to paint thickness and the amount of handwork that went into them. They really due vary and no 2 feel the same. They are IMHO the best PRS made and a pure pleasure to play/gig. I gig mine every weekend. Congrats!!!

:worthless

[​IMG]

8. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

The standard carve is not as deep as the wide/fat. AFAIK it's the same depth as the wide thin. I had an '88 custom with the standard carve that I played until I sold it in '96. I remember the fist time I picked up a wide/fat carve and thought 'this is a frickin' baseball bat!' - much deeper (and wider too) than the standard carve.

9. iaresee

iaresee Member

You are correct: it's a '95 -- I mistyped.

Wish I could say I'm in the first-run club. Alas...I am not. But it's still the most perfect fitting guitar I've ever touched. I'm itching to acquire another PRS if I can find the same neck carve. If the Mira's regular neck is the same well...I know what's next on my list! Not quite a glamorous as an '85 shot but what the heck...

[​IMG]

10. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

Ummm... no.

From the PRS site...

Depth of neck at the nut:
    • Regular and Wide Fat – 27/32”
    • Wide Thin – 25/32”
    • 513 – 55/64"
    • Hiland – 25/32"

11. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Weird. I wonder if that has changed through the years. It's been 12+ years since I sold my custom but I really don't think it was as deep at the nut as the wide/fats I have played.

12. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

I have a CE24 with a regular neck that I absolutely love. The neck, that is. I just wish PRS made a regular neck for their CE22's.

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Wrong. The Standard carve is exactly the same depth as the W/F. The extra width and wider shoulders of the W/F must have thrown you off a bit.