What Pups for my Deluxe Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TubeeTuberton, Sep 15, 2008.

1. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

Alright. I have searched a little but just want some fresh advice on which direction I should go with. I mainly play for my church three/four times a week but, I also play some local stuff every now and then. I have a Fender American Deluxe Strat with S-1 switching with the stock SCN pups in it. Not bad pups by any means but, I really want to make this my guitar and after a couple years now of owning it, it is about that time.

It has an alder body matched with a rosewood fretboard. I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212. The sound I a want is really just my own but, inspirations range from SRV, the kings, jimi, etc. I like a lot of music though and find myself playing everything from harder classic rock and rock to jazz. Sticking mainly with blues and overdriven-sounding stuff though. I have been thinking hard about changing pups for a while now and have found the Lace Sensor Holy Grail pups to be quite nice. Have NOT had a chance to play some Suhr V54's but I here they are great pups. Please feel free to make any suggestions. I am willing to take advice. Hopefully I have not overloaded this thread with too much info. Thanks in advance.

2. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

Just trying to get some info before making a decision.

3. bek

bek Member

I really like a couple Van Zandt pickups (blues 7 rock) I have combined with an FAS (middle) in a Strat and I just loved it. Then I set up another Strat with a neck & middle very low-output set from VintageVibe, and a bridge bucker I had Pete wind to match up, with a custom wiring setup from Deaf-Eddie. I can't imagine anything better, though I'm still fiddling with the bridge pickup to get it right. This Strat is ultra-lightweight and I think this bucker would be happier in a denser instrument. I originally had a Fender Atomic humbucker in there, but that wasn't it at all. I put in an SD 59 neck pickup and that was great. I have a feeling I need to fiddle very carefully with the VV height, but I can't possibly recommend VintageVibe too much. The neck and middle sound amazingly like Robert Cray, Jimi and SRV, depending of which of their tones you're after and what your drive (amp and or pedals) settings are. Mix in the combos and it's just amazing.

4. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Here's my top 3 suggestions
    Fender Custom Shop '69's
    Fender Custom Shop 54"s
    Fralin Vintage Hots (probably my favorite)

Any of the above will give you a vintage "strat" sound. The Fralins are awesome, possibly a step above the Fender stuff

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

There is a plethora of Strat replacement pups...and likewise, you'll get an overload of suggestions.

Whatever you choose, I recommend getting a "loaded" pickguard assembly if you can swing it

6. pcutt

pcutt Member

I also have an Am Deluxe Strat, but mine's a 2000 model year without the S-1 switching and with a maple neck. It plays great but, like you, I wanted a fatter sound in the Hendrix/Trower direction. I upgraded with Kinman Woodstocks and love them, and additionally, they are hum-free.

7. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

Half the reason I buy and now trying my own strat builds is so I can hear all the different pups that I continue to hear about on GP. My latest are Curt Novak A5 handwounds; now they are heads above all my others. Got some others kicking around in my head too.

8. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

I heard only a little about the Fralins but, I will be making a decision some time soon. Also, to address a suggesstion above, why would it be better to get the "loaded" pick-gaurd assembly? Thanks for all the responses BTW.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I like Lindy Fralins, Jason Lollars and Rio Grandes. I have had a strat with Fralins (Blues Specials), have Lollars in my Nash Tele, and currently have Rio Grandes in my Strat. A lot of it depends on what kind of tone you are going for. You can get such a wide range of pups.

I remember a few years back playing a used strat that had higher output Kinmans in it. It no longer sounded like a strat to me. Might want to be thinking about a tone you are going for to help narrow the search. Happy hunting.

10. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I just makes it easier, and if you ever sell the guitar, you can easily keep it original by putting the original unit back in.

...plus after a few years of endless pup swaps, you'll realize that you prefered the stock pups anyways! :rotflmao