1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

what pups for my strat: Kinman woodstock vs. EMG SA

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Derelict, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Derelict

Derelict Member

so, i have a G&L tribute that is a nice guitar, but im not happy with the pups in it. i've gone through the stock ones (nice cleans, fell apart with OD), put a set of diMarzio Virtual 2s in it (lackluster to me...not meaty enough n compressed). right now i have a JBjr n the bridge, G&L in mid, n a duncan SSL Vintage staggered in the neck. i keep going in circles and am still not happy with the guitar. i want my strat to sound like a BIG FAT strat. i am looking at either Kinman Woodstock (or ws plus) and EMG SA. i don't give a crap whether it is vintage correct, just that it sounds good clean and with OD. i don't want pups that fall apart when overdriven and i want a bigger sound that isn't so thin and weedy.

anyone with experience with both please chime in.

thanks,
    -adam

2. redjet55

redjet55 Member

I've got the aged blues set in my strat, I haven’t had anyone that has played say anything but wow! Could be the wood, it’s a ’58 but I love the kinmans sounds great clean or with gain but then I don’t play anything close to metal.

If you’re going high gain you’ll probably want the emgs

3. C3X

C3X Member

I have owned both. For awhile, I was on a total Pink Floyd kick and bought the entire pickguard set up- the DG20 or something like that. It came loaded with the EMG SA's with the expander and presence controls. Straight through the amp or with overdrive, they sounded ok, but a bit sterile. When layering tons of effects, they sound pretty good. The other good thing was that they were noiseless. The main problem was, the strat didn't sound like a classic sounding strat.

The Woodstocks are pretty good pickups if you want more of a classic strat sound and a little more thickness. They are also noiseless, but maintain more of the traditional strat tone. The main thing with Woodstocks is that you have to get the pickup height correct. There is a sweet spot to them. I have owned strats with the AVn Blues and the Woodstocks. I liked the Woodstocks better. Also, if you have questions, Chris Kinman is pretty good about answering questions.

4. HHB

HHB Member

do yourself a huge favor and check out the GFS Texas alnico staggered set, exactly what you want

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Kinman Woodstock all the way. Woodstock+ for an even fatter bridge pickup tone. Classy, classic Strat tone in all positions but without the hum/buzz/noise associated with Strat pickups.

GFS is making some good pickups, but they are not noiseless. IMHO their singles do not challenge Kinmans.

It's no secret I'm an EMG hater for exactly the reason caldwell states - to me, they sound sterile unless you load the sound with tons of effects or huge amounts of gain. Bleah.

--chiba

6. oxtone

oxtone Member

+1 on the Kinman Woodstock Plus!!! I plan to replace my SA's with those when I get the ca ching $$$ - they're expensive, but a superior product. His website is very informative!

I met Chris Kinman (nice guy) at the NAMM a few years ago, and tried every one of his pickups - he had a Strat style guitar set up so you could change pickguards in it quickly with all his different sets of PUPS. Very cool. But, he doesn't go to the NAMM anymore, from what I know.

7. johntoste

johntoste Member

Many moons ago I loaded one of my Strats with the EMG SA pickups w/presence control. I liked the ability to dial in extra mids and make the sound more humbucker-like. Only thing is, the SA pickups don't "sing", they "grind". There is no sweetness to the tone of my SAs. They are electro-mechanical sounding, if that makes any sense.
    A few years ago, I put Kinman AVN Blues into my other Strat. That is the one I play all the time. Good luck.

8. redjet55

redjet55 Member

+1 on the pickup height, kinmans are very sensitive to the pickup height and you can change the way they sound via the adjustment. The character isn’t changed so much as the output and sweetness.

I’ve got mine down almost as low as they can go and they sound just great, from chiming clean to total strat quack inbetween positions.

The blues set is darker than the woodstock set so if you like a classic strat tone I’d go that direction. Me I like a srv sound so the blues set is more to my taste

9. Derelict

Derelict Member

thanks guys. i am leaning towards the kinmans. i think im gonna get the neck & mid woodstock n if i like them the way i think i will, i will replace my JBjr in the bridge too.