What pups for my strat??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by cml145, Jan 9, 2008.

1. cml145

cml145 Member

Wouldn't mind getting some opinions on what pickups everyone is using (and what you like about them), so i can finally make a decision on which ones to put in my Am Strat. Plugging into Budda SD 30 combo and use mostly for P&W.

2. richpeax

richpeax Member

I just put the DiMarzio area 58's in all 3 slots and as advertised there is no hum. They sound pretty good. I was sold upon hearing the demos on DiMarzio's website and the Guitar World review on them that can be found on youtube.com. I think the area 61's are suppose to be more like Texas Specials from what I understand. The proof is in the hearing so check those sights out.

3. CGrisamore

CGrisamore Member

Have had Kinman's in my '57 reissue Strat for a couple of years now and am very happy. Right after the install, I did an A/B comparison with my '69 Strat (not a reissue) clean through a Twin Reverb. I thought the Kinman's definitely had the classic Strat sound and the difference in noise was mind blowing!

Note: Kinmans are VERY sensitive to height adjustment so it takes some experimentation to dial in the sound you want.

4. cml145

cml145 Member

Cool...I think I'm looking for that classic strat sound, but nothing too twangy ...something to counter my Les paul's tone.

5. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

There is a lot of them. I've tried most all of them too.

Right now I have a couple sets of a small hand winder called Kimptone.
    He has a low output set called the Uncle Dickies with flat poles and a slightly higher output set too.
    Both vintage sounding. Really well made and a great price. I think I paid $120.00 per set shipped.
    I have no affiliation with him. Just a user!

Angeltone is another great handwinder I have tried.
    A little more money but really nicely made and sound great.

6. cml145

cml145 Member

What is the website?? I google it and didn't get any info except more forums.

7. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Angeltone has a website.
    If you mean the Kimptones he doesn't have a website.
    PM me if you want his email.

8. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

+1 for the Angeltones:AOK The owner/winder Ken is the best. Ken knows his stuff like no other. Seriously, it's more than just "wind them to under 6K". There are several other parameters that go into a well made pickup...Ken will steer you to the Perfect set:D

9. slegros

slegros Member

Fender hot noiseless, love them in my JB strat

10. Dion

Dion Supporting Member

Really enjoyed Lollar Blackfaces but needed something staggered for my neck.

Using Bare Knuckle Apaches right now. Have a set of D'Pergos that are great as well, but you won't find those available unless you own a D'Pergo.